South Dakota State University (SDSU) invites applications and nominations for the position of Vice Provost for Graduate Education and Extended Studies (Vice Provost).
About the University
South Dakota State University (SDSU) is dedicated to exceptional teaching and learning, scholarship, research, creative activity, and transference of knowledge through Extension programming for the benefit of students, and the citizens of South Dakota and beyond. With almost 600 faculty, serving nearly 11,500 students, SDSU offers a diverse number of academic colleges including: College of Agriculture, Food and Environmental Sciences, College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences, College of Education and Human Sciences, College of Natural Sciences, Jerome J. Lohr College of Engineering, College of Nursing, College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions, Van D. and Barbara B. Fishback Honors College and the Graduate School.
SDSU is defined as a “Doctoral University, High Research Activity” within the Carnegie Classification and in 2014 was designated an Innovation and Economic Prosperity University by the Association of Public and Land-grant Universities. As South Dakota’s 1862 land-grant university, SDSU plays a key leadership role in the state and the region in conducting research, disseminating knowledge, supporting innovation and business incubation, forming partnerships with industry, and advocating for economic growth and development. SDSU awards graduate degrees through 15 Ph.D. and 33 Master’s programs and has the most active university research program in the state with more than $67 million in annual research activity.
About the Position
The Vice Provost for Graduate Education and Extended Studies reports to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs and is expected to work closely with faculty and leadership across the University, as well as with regional, national, and global external partners to strengthen graduate and extended education across the academic disciplines. The Vice Provost will oversee the Center for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning, the Graduate School, Instructional Design Services, Continuing and Distance Education and Graduate Catalog and Curriculum.
The Vice Provost will provide energetic and visionary leadership, as well as advocacy for the mission of graduate and extended education throughout South Dakota State University. Working collaboratively across the University, the Vice Provost will seek to advance high caliber and interdisciplinary graduate programs and extended studies/professional development programs. The Vice Provost will provide the leadership and strategic guidance necessary to innovate the graduate and extended studies/professional development experience at SDSU and work jointly with the Deans and other unit leaders to advance educational quality and scholarly excellence, and direct Graduate School and Extended Studies functions and staff to ensure efficient and responsive services.
Other responsibilities of the position include:
- Build a strategic and innovative vision for the Graduate School, Continuing and Distance Education, Instructional Design Services, and the Center for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning that will motivate the faculty and inspire students;
- Serve as a strong advocate for graduate and distance students’ success and excellence, focusing on student support, retention, providing direction, and oversight for graduate and distance education responsive to the needs of the diverse graduate and distance student body;
- Provide leadership for graduate admissions, program development, and assessment, optimizing financial resources and setting performance objectives to ensure appropriate processes are being used through the University;
- Collaborate with colleges, schools, and departments to strengthen existing academic programs and develop effective plans for growth in graduate, distance and extended education;
- Assist programs in meeting accreditation standards as needed and monitor and advocate for graduate courses and programs;
- Oversee degree verifications and thesis and dissertation approvals;
- Promote active collaboration between graduate students and graduate faculty in research, scholarship and creative activity;
- Work with the colleges and departments to provide a seamless and coherent presence for continuing distance education;
- Collaborate with various departments to adapt tools, technologies and teaching methods developed for distance delivery;
- Identify emerging trends and conduct needs analyses on opportunities for new programs and services;
- Increase the presence of extended education and enrollment in the state and region.
The successful candidate must have an earned terminal degree and qualify for full professor appointment in a department represented in the Graduate School. The Vice Provost will also have experience with graduate studies through service on graduate committees or advisor/director of theses and dissertations; and administrative experience. Other preferred qualifications include:
- Demonstrated record of excellence in leadership, graduate education, scholarship and research;
- An appreciation for a range of graduate degrees as well as delivery modes;
- An understanding of assessment and accreditation;
- Experience with developing online academic programs, knowledge of instructional design, and of distance and extended education principles and quality guidelines;
- Ability to foster interdisciplinary collaborative relationships across the University;
- Demonstrated ability to oversee budgets and managing financial resources;
- Experience developing, promoting and marketing the graduate academic programs and distance and extended education programs and certificates;
- Excellent communication skills, experience collaborating with others; and a commitment to building a community among graduate students and faculty and an appreciation for lifelong learning to include academic programs, professional and workforce development, and personal enrichment.
The Search Committee invites nominations, applications (letter of interest, resume/CV, and the names and contact information of five or more references), or expressions of interest to be submitted to the search firm assisting the University. Review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. It is preferred, however, that all nominations and applications be submitted to the search firm prior to February 1, 2021.