About Wingate University
Founded in 1896 and located in Wingate, North Carolina, Wingate University (Wingate) is a comprehensive, independent and growing university that blends in-class learning with out-of-class application to deliver a life-changing educational experience. Wingate serves more than 3,600 students, including undergraduate and graduate students, and has two additional campuses, in the Ballantyne neighborhood of Charlotte and in Hendersonville, North Carolina. As a highly regarded employer in the Charlotte metropolitan area, Wingate has been recognized by the Chronicle of Higher Education as a “Great College to Work For” and has been voted a Charlotte-area “Top Workplace” by The Charlotte Observer.
Wingate’s unique academic mix offers students the ability to choose from various academic programs. Wingate currently offers 37 undergraduate majors, 10 pre-professional programs, 38 minors, and seven masters and four doctoral programs. The most popular undergraduate majors are nursing, biology, psychology, management, sport management, human services and criminal justice, while 72 percent of graduate students are enrolled in pharmacy, physical therapy, occupational therapy, or physician assistant studies.
About Wingate Athletics
Wingate Athletics is one of the most elite programs in all of NCAA Division II and is the premier program in the South Atlantic Conference (SAC). Wingate offers 24 sports, adding triathlon this year and field hockey in 2022. Wingate’s balance of academic and athletic excellence has provided student-athletes the opportunity to excel in the classroom and in competition, winning 13 straight SAC Echols Athletic Excellence Awards while topping the SAC with 130 lifetime Academic All-America picks. Wingate is also the all-time leader in SAC championships, SAC Excellence Cups, SAC Scholar-Athletes, SAC Presidents’ Award winners, and SAC Players of the Year.
On a national level, Wingate has produced more Academic All-Americas than any other Division II school and more than any school at any division in North Carolina (since Jan. 1, 2000). Wingate’s athletic teams have also produced 627 NCAA Division II All-Americans, 41 individual NCAA National Champions, a men’s soccer NCAA National Championship in 2016, two men’s tennis NJCAA National Championships (in 1970 and 1971), and most recently Wingate’s baseball team was crowned NCAA Division II National Champions in the spring of 2021.
The student-athlete focus in the department creates an environment that makes Wingate a true destination for coaches and administrators. Many of the current staff have dedicated their careers to their sports, student-athlete development, and the University. Their consistency and dedication have propelled many of the athletic programs to championship heights, both in the classroom and in their respective fields of play.
The Director of Athletics is responsible for the overall vision, leadership, and supervision of the University’s intercollegiate athletic program. The Director will promote financial stability, championship success, integrity, gender equity and excellent community engagement, and he or she will contribute to the University’s overall strategic goals. The Director will be responsible for personnel management, facility management and planning, compliance, and resource cultivation and administration of Wingate’s intercollegiate athletics.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain the University’s traditional commitments to academic and athletic excellence.
- Demonstrate core competencies in the areas of leadership and vision, the development of a strategy to advance that vision, and the management and oversight of an Athletic Department that is operationally efficient and financially sound.
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity, gender equity, and inclusivity that creates a welcoming environment with a sense of belonging for all student-athletes and athletics staff.
- Recruit, develop, and retain a diverse group of successful coaches and support staff.
- Support the Wingate University Advancement staff in all fundraising activities involving athletic programs.
- Administer all fiscal operations of the Athletic Department in accordance with University regulations and establish procedures to assure adherence to these regulations by all departmental coaches and staff members.
- Formulate and supervise a compliance system which adheres to NCAA, SAC, and University policies.
- Assist in the development and implementation of an overall athletic facilities plan for improvements and maintenance of athletic fields and facilities.
- Serve on the Wingate University Senior Management Team and assigned Wingate University committees.
- Accept any other duties assigned by the President and Senior Vice-President for External Relations.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred.
- A thorough knowledge of athletic administration at the collegiate level and a demonstrated record of successful athletic administrative experience.
- Commitment to excellence in academics and athletics.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Experience in facility master planning, as well as facility enhancement.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills.
- Proven successful track record of fund-raising, creation of external partnerships, fiscal management, and sport supervision.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of NCAA rules and operations.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse range of individuals, including Wingate University athletic colleagues, campus staff and faculty, and alumni and business/community leaders.
Wingate University invites nominations and applications or expressions of interest to be submitted to the search firm assisting the University. Applications must include a cover letter, resume or curriculum vitae, and list of references. For full consideration, application materials should be submitted to Parker Executive Search’s website by September 6, 2021. Confidential review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made.
For additional information, please contact:
Daniel Parker, Vice President and Managing Director
Grant Higgison, Principal
DeLaina Jordan, Associate
Parker Executive Search
770-804-1996 ext. 116 | 770-804-1996 ext. 118 | 770-804-1996 ext. 119
Wingate University abides by all federal and state laws prohibiting employment discrimination solely on the basis of a person’s race, color, creed, national origin, religion, age (over 40), sex, marital status or physical handicap, except where a reasonable, bona fide occupational qualification exists. Wingate University is committed to the provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act and its amendments. Wingate University expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability or veteran status.