The Assistant/Associate Vice President for Research Facilities and Infrastructure (AVP RFI) serves as a member of the management team for the Vice President for Research. The AVP RFI is responsible for working with the schools, college, and relevant units for coordination and strategic planning for research facilities across campus. The AVP RFI will support research sustainability that integrates facilities, resources, and stakeholders at all levels of the institution to support UAB’s goal of cutting-edge discovery, innovation and scholarship. Specific programs include the Animal Resources Program (ARP), the Southeastern Biosafety Laboratory Alabama, Birmingham (SEBLAB), and the Institutional Research Core Program (ICRP). The AVP RFI collaborates with schools and campus organizational units in the management of existing institutional resources to ensure the highest and best use for existing facilities, design/construction/renovation of new and existing research facilities, and the purchase and installation of major scientific equipment. More information on the research enterprise can be found at: https://www.uab.edu/didyouknow.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Leading efforts to ensure UAB has a state-of-the-art animal research program, regional biosafety laboratory (SEBLAB), and shared institutional research core facilities;
- Interfacing and collaborating closely with the schools/college and relevant units to develop effective strategies for new construction and renovations to meet the needs of the research community;
- Coordinating with the UAB Financial Affairs office and the schools/college to support strategies for optimal Facilities and Administrative (F&A) rate negotiations;
- Securing resources necessary through competitive grants, philanthropy, and other means to procure equipment and upgrade shared facilities for research;
- Serving actively on the Campus Planning and Facilities Committee (CPFAC), the Maximization and Utilization of Space Team (MUST), and other relevant bodies;
- Overseeing the development and implementation of shared research facility oversight practices and operational standards designed to protect UAB research assets;
- Assessing the strategic need and negotiates requests for central funding for building/renovation projects and major equipment purchases;
- Overseeing the creation and dissemination of facility/resource descriptions for use in extramural funding applications;
- Overseeing the development and dissemination of marketing/communications strategies designed to enhance campus and external partner utilization of institutional research cores, facilities, and resources;
- Assisting in the recruitment of high-quality faculty candidates and their research teams;
- Developing best practices with the schools/college for space analysis, planning, and monitoring;
- Cultivating a culture of transparency and collaboration with campus stakeholders regarding space utilization and allocation decisions;
- Using financial forecasting tools to inform strategic investments in building and/or renovation projects and capital equipment purchases including the development of metrics to gauge and report overall impact of investments;
- Monitoring, analysis, and negotiation of shared facility operating costs;
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience Requirements
Completion of a terminal degree (PhD, MD, etc.) with a minimum of 10 years of increasing experience in research and/or laboratory management in an academic, industry, or government setting.
The AVP RFI must have significant research leadership and business management experience, a proven track record of successful grant-writing, including for large equipment and facility renovation, excellent written and spoken communication skills, strategic planning knowledge and expertise, experience with program development and implementation, and the ability to foster key relationships. The AVP RFI requires a demonstrated background in development of research infrastructure programs and collaborations that are inclusive of people, physical spaces, and resources. This position reports to the Vice President for Research.
The University of Alabama at Birmingham invites letters of nomination, applications (letter of interest, complete CV, and references) or expressions of interest to be submitted to the search firm assisting UAB. Confidential review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made. It is preferred, however, that all nominations and applications be submitted prior to April 8, 2021 to:
Porsha L. Williams, Vice President
Jacob C. Anderson, Principal
Parker Executive Search
Five Concourse Parkway, Suite 2875
Atlanta, GA 30328
Phone: (770) 804-1996 x 111
UAB is committed to equal opportunity in education, and employment, and the maintenance and promotion of nondiscrimination and prevention of discriminatory harassment in all aspects of education, recruitment and employment of individuals throughout the university.