About Success Academy
As the fastest growing, highest-performing charter school network in New York State, Success Academy has reimagined public education. Nationally recognized for achieving outstanding academic results for students from all backgrounds and zip codes, Success Academy has created an innovative K-12 school model that is preparing current and future generations of children with the subject mastery and skills to succeed in college and life. Since opening their first school in Harlem in 2006, Success Academy has swiftly grown to 46 high-performing schools, from Bed-Stuy to the Bronx, serving approximately 21,000 kids. Success Academy is scaling to 100 great schools serving 50,000 children across New York City, bringing transformational change to New York and across the country.
The Success Academy elementary and middle schools rank in the top 1% in math and top 7% in reading among all New York schools. 100% of all scholars passed the 2013 science exam with 99% earning the highest possible rating. To date, 100% of Success Academy’s high school graduates go to college, including many of the most selective colleges in the country. Success Academy’s mission is to provide a rigorous learning experience that fosters in every scholar resourcefulness and integrity, a sense of personal and social responsibility, intellectual and academic skills, and an appreciation of learning.
About Success Academy Athletics
To Success Academy, providing a world-class education means educating the whole child. That is why their K-12 exploration-driven curriculum includes soccer, basketball, track, chess, debate, art, performing arts, and other specialized subjects that bring excitement to the school day and foster a lifelong love of learning. To achieve exceptional results for children, Success Academy hires the best, and the brightest. Success Academy values excellence and ethics, celebrates diversity, and is relentlessly committed to enhancing the lives of our scholars.
To shine a spotlight on one of our sports as an example, Success Academy runs an innovative and winning soccer program – teaching soccer to all of our elementary school students and running both school-based development teams and highly selective “club” teams after school that compete with each other, play other schools in the region, and that compete and win in major national and international tournaments. Success Academy has over 6,000 students playing soccer on teams, and 900 of them are on highly selective teams that conduct tryouts and further develop players, under the direction of 30 soccer coaches.
With their rapid growth and commitment to excellence, Success Academy is seeking a visionary and successful Athletic Director to lead and grow their rigorous and robust athletics program, across their growing network of schools.
As the Athletic Director, the successful candidate will:
- Inspire a profound love of athletics in all students
- Build and maintain a high bar for excellence in all sports programs, among teachers/coaches, program leads, relevant staff, and scholar-athletes, ensuring our athletic programs are aligned with Success Academies core values.
- Assess program strengths and weaknesses, build and drive a roadmap for each sport to raise the bar of excellence and impact in the short, medium and long term
- Recruit, onboard, manage performance of exceptional Program Directors for each sport, as well as the hiring and development of exceptional coaches in each sport, K-12
- Develop and refine and manage a rigorous sports curriculum and provide oversight for all athletics programs and activities
- Manage effective systems relating to faculty support and professional partnerships
- Communicate to parents and families the transformative role athletics can play in children’s lives and solicit their support and involvement
- Work with our real estate team on facilities vision in our ground-up development of new K-12 campuses
- Strategize with leadership around additional sports that Success Academy might add and grow to the athletic program, and develop and manage the growth of the athletic program in size and quality
- Manage the multimillion-dollar athletic program budget, stewarding our resources, and investing wisely in our programs
- Work with/support the fundraising team when there are opportunities to generate new philanthropic gifts to Success Academy to support athletics
- Work with schooling leadership on crucial issues around strategy, logistics, professional development student/staff calendars, financial planning, etc.
- Develop and manage the logistics and support team centrally that manages facilities (including significant 3rd party relationships), transportation, travel to tournaments, and other aspects of the athletic program
To be considered for the Success Academy Athletic Director position, you must:
- Have a bachelor’s degree, with an advanced degree being highly desirable
- Be an experienced leader, manager, educator and coach with a firm commitment to excellence, educational reform, athletics, and student success
- Have a demonstrated ability to lead in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment and can successfully provide professional development activities for teachers and coaches
- Have impeccable presentation skills to effectively communicate with a diverse set of audiences, from scholars and families, to colleagues, to outside organizations and donors
- Effectively build relationships that welcome the opportunity to collaborate with multiple stakeholders to implement the best possible athletic program
- Be a learner
The Success Academy Charter Schools invites nominations and applications or expressions of interest to be submitted to the search firm assisting the School. Applications must include a cover letter, resume or curriculum vitae, and list of references. For full consideration, application materials should be submitted to Parker Executive Search’s website. Confidential review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made.
For additional information please contact:
Daniel Parker, Vice President and Managing Director
Grant Higgison, Principal
DeLaina Jordan, Associate
Parker Executive Search
770-804-1996 ext. 116 | 770-804-1996 ext. 118 | 770-804-1996 ext. 119
Success Academy Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. Success Academy offers a full benefits program and opportunities for professional growth.