About SIU Carbondale
Southern Illinois University (SIU) Carbondale seeks an experienced intercollegiate athletics professional capable of providing strong leadership for a Division I program at a nationally ranked research university.
Founded in 1869, SIU Carbondale is the flagship campus of the Southern Illinois University System. With more than 11,000 students and more than 3,000 faculty and staff, the Carbondale campus offers a full range of doctoral, master’s, bachelor’s, and associate degrees in addition to professional degrees in law and medicine. It is a diverse, student-centered, research-intensive university that has earned national recognition for its teaching, research, service, civic engagement and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Diversity is an integral part of SIU Carbondale’s legacy, dating back to its earliest classes. Today, minority students make up 28% of SIU Carbondale’s total enrollment while international students account for nearly 8% of our student body.
The physical beauty of the region is a major attraction to students, staff, faculty, and visitors. Sixty miles to the south of Carbondale is the historic confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers, the two forming the border of the southern tip of Illinois. Just six hours south of Chicago and within easy driving distance of St. Louis, Memphis, Nashville and Indianapolis, SIU Carbondale draws students from the Midwest but also from nearly every U.S. state and nearly 100 nations. A vibrant community of approximately 25,000 residents, Carbondale is regarded as one of the best small cities in Illinois.
About Saluki Athletics
As a proud member of the Missouri Valley Conference, Saluki Athletics sponsors 17 NCAA, Division I nationally competitive athletic programs that exemplify integrity, toughness, and excellence. All members of the department work to support Saluki student-athletes in graduating and winning championships while building pride within the campus and community. In doing so, students and staff demonstrate leadership, respect, and compassion for others.
Saluki Athletics has a proud history of achievement on the field and in the classroom. SIU Carbondale student-athletes learn and graduate, gain leadership skills, and win championships. Having produced 8 National Champions, 60 Olympians, and 101 Academic All-Americans, this culture of success enriches the campus and community.
As part of the ongoing Forever SIU campaign, Saluki Athletics is embarking on an ambitious campaign that will build upon its historic strengths and position the department for continued success. At the heart of the campaign is a commitment to student-athlete achievement, championship teams, community engagement, diversity and inclusion, and shared Saluki pride.
Reporting directly to Chancellor and serving as a member of the Chancellor’s Cabinet, the Athletic Director will have the opportunity to help shape the vision and enhance the visibility of the University through advancing Saluki Athletics. This individual will be responsible for the oversight and planning within the athletics department in order to provide for the continued development and growth of a Division I intercollegiate program that adheres to the rules, regulations, and policies of SIU Carbondale, the Missouri Valley Conference, and the NCAA.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Demonstrate significant experience in strategic and financial planning, as well as organizational development and personnel management; strong analytic, strategic, communications, and interpersonal skills to bring to the setting of priorities, allocation of resources, and making of difficult decisions.
- Work to sustain a department that shares the University’s commitment to a culture of openness and inclusion that values diversity in people and ideas.
- Embody a record of fostering excellence in student-athlete development; the ability to foster collaboration and productive partnerships with a broad range of constituencies, both within and outside the institution.
- Oversee the administration of the intercollegiate athletics program while maintaining accountability for its design, operation, and evaluation; ensure compliance with institutional, Missouri Valley Conference, and NCAA guidelines and requirements and keep the chancellor informed and aware of all issues related to athletics.
- Participate actively in league and conference meetings and activities.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships and communications with faculty, administrators, staff, student body, student government association, alumni, friends, booster clubs, and the local community regarding SIU Carbondale Athletics.
- Lead the development of Athletics fundraising goals and work in close coordination with the SIU Foundation to develop fundraising strategies to meet the strategic priorities. Meet with donors and prospective donors as part of on-going fundraising activities.
- Provide visionary leadership and role modeling for sustaining a culture of transparency, professionalism, integrity, and respect at all levels.
- Plan and oversee efforts of the department to encourage and support the academic success of student-athletes, recognizing that student-athletes must find a balance between academic success and athletic endeavors.
- Contribute actively to university committees and campus discussions on a variety of student and institutional issues.
- Encourage the professional development of the administrative and coaching staffs, promote their accomplishments, and perpetuate a culture of positive morale and effective interdepartmental relationships.
- Be a positive presence in the community among individuals and corporations via participation in both internal and external events, various media activities; communicate and be an advocate for a unified message that will increase the brand awareness and recognition of Saluki Athletics throughout the region and on a national stage.
- Serve as a member of the Chancellor’s Cabinet.
- Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree preferred.
- At least 10 years of experience in intercollegiate athletics or a related field with at least 5 years in a leadership role in such an organization.
- A demonstrated record of leadership and measurable success in athletic or university administration.
- Proven commitment to the student-athlete experience, student well-being, and academic achievement.
- An ability to develop, communicate, and implement a strategic vision for the future of Saluki Athletics.
- Strong ability to communicate across various constituencies at a university; excellent interpersonal skills and high level of emotional intelligence.
- Committed to a division culture that embraces diversity, gender equity, and equal opportunity as a part of a university committed to these ends.
- Demonstrated understanding of fundraising, marketing, branding, and promoting the intercollegiate athletics program within the university and larger community.
Southern Illinois University Carbondale invites nominations and applications or expressions of interest to be submitted to the search firm assisting the University. Applications must include a cover letter, resume or curriculum vitae, and list of references. For full consideration, application materials should be submitted to Parker Executive Search’s website by October 28, 2021. Confidential review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made.
For additional information, please contact:
Daniel Parker, Vice President and Managing Director
Grant Higgison, Principal
DeLaina Jordan, Associate
Parker Executive Search
770-804-1996 ext. 116 | 770-804-1996 ext. 118 | 770-804-1996 ext. 119
SIU Carbondale, member of the SIU System, is an anti-racist community that opposes racism, discrimination, and inequity in any form, and embraces diversity, inclusion, equity, and justice for all people. SIU Carbondale is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans that strives to enhance its ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff and to increase its potential to serve a diverse student population. All applications are welcomed and encouraged and will receive consideration.