Khalifa University invites applications and nominations for the next Faculty Director for Simulation Training within the College of Medicine and Health Sciences (CMHS).
ABOUT KHALIFA UNIVERSITY
The newly-established Khalifa University of Science and Technology (KU) combines the Masdar Institute of Science and Technology (MI), the Khalifa University of Science, Technology and Research (KUSTAR) and the Petroleum Institute (PI) into one world-class, research-intensive institution, seamlessly integrating research and education to produce world leaders and critical thinkers in applied science and engineering. Khalifa University endeavors to be a leader among research intensive universities of the 21st century, while catalyzing the growth of Abu Dhabi and the UAE’s rapidly developing knowledge economy.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The position calls for a leading authority in "clinical simulation training" with evidence of exceptional academic standing. The ideal candidate is expected to have a made a substantive contribution to their discipline, and can show evidence of innovative curriculum development, a distinguished record of teaching, and proven academic leadership. Essential to this role is the desire to train a new generation of medical specialists, as well as contribute to world-class research that improves practice while delivering a service to the university, the community and the United Arab Emirates.
The responsibilities of faculty members shall be an appropriate combination of:
- Dissemination of knowledge through undergraduate and / or graduate teaching;
- Research, scholarly or other creative activities;
- Academic service.
- Manages and directs the implementation of simulation training exercises across the CMHS;
- Assists faculty in developing and executing activities that meet the educational and clinical simulation needs of the CMHS;
- Assists in identifying learning needs addressed through simulation, designing collaborative action plans and outcome evaluations for simulation programs;
- Advises faculty in the design, training, development and implementation of simulation center activities;
- Assesses the performance and educational content of simulation based programs;
- Facilitates integration of simulation into the medical curriculum;
- Maintains proficiency in existing and emerging quality, safety and simulation technologies, including basic theory, design and implementation;
- Develops schedules for utilization of simulation center resources;
- Participates in task forces and groups charged with improving patient care of safety issues through the use of Simulation;
- Identities and assists in the procurement of equipment, supplies and potential space to meet the needs of the simulation program;
- Monitors the consistency and quality of assessment and examination based simulation;
- Acquires and maintains knowledge of current trends and developments in the fields of Simulation;
- Promotes an appropriate climate for creativity, collaboration, inquiry and diversity;
- Maintains good working relationships, approaches conflict resolution in a constructive manner, and helps to identify programs, offer solutions, and participate in their resolution;
- Maintains the confidentiality of information acquired pertaining to patients, physicians and employees;
- Discusses patient and hospital information only among appropriate personnel in appropriately private places;
- Collaborates with institutional and external groups to identify resources and other sources of support for the center;
- Other duties as assigned.
Research, Scholarly and Creative Responsibilities
- Engage in scholarly or creative activities in their area of expertise and make results available for critical peer review;
- Deliver papers or make presentations at professional association meetings, seminars and conferences;
- Participate in panels at regional and international meetings of professional organizations;
- Contribute to departmental, or University-wide working groups or committees as requested;
- Serve on the CMHS Curriculum Committee;
- Contribute to student recruitment, retention and placement efforts;
- Foster service by contributing to the community at large in participatory, developmental or advisory capacity;
- Support and partcipate in student organization activities;
- Adhere to the University's information security and confidentiality policies and procedures, and report breaches or other security risks accordingly;
- Coordinate with other departments to facilitate the accomplishment of tasks and responsibilities, as and when needed;
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the Line Manager;
- Appropriately supervise direct reports, including course coordinators and simulation specialists.
Required Qualifications and Experiences
- A degree in medicine (MD or MBBS);
- Experience supervising employees;
- Certified as an Instructor in Basic Life Support and Advanced Cardiac Life Support;
- Demonstrable experience in teaching and mentorship in the discipline at the undergraduate and/or postgraduate level;
- Demonstrable abilities to work effectively as a member of an interdisciplinary and collegial team, well developed interpersonal skills and the ability to provide leadership and take initiative;
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience AND experience in teaching at a level that is relevant to the position and would have made contributions to research and/or scholarship and/or teaching and administrative services of an organizational unit (e.g. a centre, department).
Nominations and applications (letter of interest, CV and contact information of at least five references), or expressions of interest can be submitted to the search firm assisting the University. Review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made. It is preferred, however that all nominations and applications be submitted prior to March 6, 2020. Please submit all nominations and applications to: