ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY
Florida Atlantic University, located in Boca Raton, Florida, opened in 1964 as the fifth of 11 institutions comprising the State University System of Florida. The University was dedicated on October 25, 1964, by President Lyndon B. Johnson, one of the few American institutions of higher learning to be so honored by a sitting President of the United States. Florida Atlantic University opened as the first university in the nation serving upper-division and graduate students exclusively. Twenty years later, in 1984, FAU became a four-year university when the first freshman class was admitted.
Florida Atlantic University today is a dynamic, national public research university with campuses and sites strategically located along a corridor of more than 100 miles of coastline between America’s Everglades and the Atlantic Ocean. Already, it is recognized as a university of first choice for
- Excellence in undergraduate education and the student experience;
- Comprehensive graduate education;
- Visionary and globally relevant research;
- Transformative engagement with its global communities.
With one of the nation’s most diverse student bodies, Florida Atlantic offers over 170 degree programs to more than 30,000 students.
Florida Atlantic University aspires to be recognized as a university known for excellent and accessible undergraduate and graduate education, distinguished for the quality of its programs across multiple campuses and classified as a very high research institution that is internationally acclaimed for its contributions to creativity and research as well as its collaborations with regional partners.
Florida Atlantic University values:
- Excellence - in teaching, research and public service
- Accountability - taking responsibility for actions and being outcome-based
- Teamwork - seeking collaborative strategies to solve problems
- Integrity - telling the truth and delivering on our commitments
- Playing to win - and helping others win
- Innovation - striving for creative solutions and continuous improvement
- Student success - wholly committing ourselves to our students’ futures
- Safety - providing a secure campus environment
- Shared governance - making decisions through collaborative processes
- Professionalism - performing our responsibilities with an ethical behavior
- Customer service - exceeding the expectations of our clientele
- Respect - treating people the way we want to be treated
- Engagement - collaborating with community to benefit all stakeholders
The Office of Financial Affairs' primary purpose is to enhance the academic effectiveness of Florida Atlantic University and its students, faculty and staff by providing support services specifically related to fiscal management, personnel services, purchasing, bursar functions and administrative technology.
Reporting to the President, the Vice President for Financial Affairs and Chief Financial Officer:
- Oversees the development of the University's annual operating budget of $882 million and ensures that appropriate reports are provided to the President, the Board of Trustees and the Board of Governors;
- Is responsible for the financial accounting system and financial reports and statistical data concerning the financial health of the University;
- Develops and implements a comprehensive, multi-year financial model to guide strategic decision making through detailed analysis and projections;
- Oversees detailed studies of the financial implications of University operations, focusing on efficiencies and effectiveness;
- Oversees the University investment policy and assures that sufficient funds are available for the University to maintain a positive cash flow;
- Assembles and prepares financial reports and analyses, and any other information requested by the President and the Audit & Finance Committee of the Board of Trustees;
- Is responsible for procurement functions of the University.
- Ethical and trustworthy
- Strategic and analytical thinker
- Strong leadership and change management skills
- Collaborative approach and strong interpersonal skills
- Strong financial acumen including finance, accounting, and risk management
- Innovative problem solver
- Successful working in a multicultural and multiethnic environment
- Promotes diversity and inclusion
- Communication skills: verbal, written and presentation
- Ability to establish credibility with the Board, University leadership, faculty, staff and throughout the organization
Significant (10+ years) financial leadership experience in institutions of higher education, and/or experience in the corporate world in a business of relevant scale, complexity, and governmental regulation. Exposure to research activity and/or research oriented enterprises a plus.
Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree preferred; Certified Public Accountant (CPA) preferred; other professional certification and designations
The Search Committee invites nominations, applications (a letter of interest, comprehensive curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information of five or more references) to be submitted to the search firm assisting Florida Atlantic University. Confidential review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. The Search Committee prefers that all nominations and applications be submitted to the search firm website prior to February 1, 2021.
Porsha L. Williams, Vice President
Grant Higgison, Principal
Parker Executive Search
Five Concourse Parkway, Suite 2875
Atlanta, GA 30328
Phone: (770) 804-1996 X 109, X 118
Florida Atlantic University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action/equal access institution and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veterans status or any other characteristic protected by law.