About the University
Home to the nation’s eighth largest and 13th oldest medical school, the Medical College of Georgia, Augusta University is defined by the Board of Regents as Georgia’s designated health sciences center of excellence. Located in downtown Augusta, the small-town charm and big-city southern hospitality offers an experience like no other. With over 9,600 students served by nearly 6,200 faculty and staff, Augusta University provides a world-class academic and social community that positions students for opportunity and success. The university is dedicated to training the next generation of innovators, leaders and health care providers, with a reputation extending far beyond its campus and communities. Offering more than 120 degrees within 10 colleges and schools, campuses and off-site instructional programs throughout the state, Augusta University’s mission is to provide leadership and excellence in teaching, discovery, clinical care and service as a student-centered comprehensive research university.
About Augusta University Athletics
Augusta University athletics is an NCAA Division II member institution that has positioned 13 intercollegiate sports to compete at the highest level of the Peach Belt Conference. Both men’s and women’s golf compete at the Division I level in the Southland Conference. The primary mission of Augusta’s Department of Intercollegiate Athletics is to ensure its athletics programs are operating in conformance with the overall institutional mission. Augusta University is committed to the highest standard of teamwork, scholarship, citizenship and sportsmanship. The Jaguars have won three NCAA National Championships in men’s golf and made 12 NCAA tournament appearances, including four Elite Eight appearances in men’s basketball and one in volleyball. Augusta University athletics seeks to provide equal opportunity for student athletes to grow as people by enabling involvement in more areas of student life and by providing the tools that will aid the student athlete after graduation.
About the Position
Reporting directly to the university President, the Director of Athletics is responsible for managing, planning and directing the operations of the NCAA athletics programs to create partnerships in the community and enhance success throughout all sports teams. The director of athletics will also be responsible for managing oversight of sponsorships, partnerships, marketing, public relations, strategic planning and hiring and mentoring coaches.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Provide leadership to an athletic department that shares the university’s commitment to student success, diversity, equity and inclusion, and community engagement.
• Develop, communicate, and implement a clear vision and strategic plan for athletics department success in fundraising, facilities development, and the recruitment and retention of athletics personnel while aligning with university goals and objectives.
• Establish appropriate departmental infrastructure to facilitate strategic financial planning, budgeting, and operational procedures to support programmatic accountability.
• Create new and innovative ways to promote athletics and school spirit to not only the on-campus community, but also to the Augusta community and university alumni base.
• Develop and sustain a championship culture throughout the athletics department that empowers and propels coaches, student athletes, and staff as they compete for championships.
• Participate actively in league and conference meetings and activities.
• Lead the development of athletics fundraising goals by working in close coordination with the university president and Office of Philanthropy & Alumni Engagement to develop fundraising strategies and targets to meet the strategic priorities of the Athletic Department and university, including improvement to existing facilities and the construction of new facilities.
• Provide visionary leadership and role modeling for sustaining a culture of transparency, professionalism, integrity, and respect at all levels.
• Plan, direct, and oversee departmental initiatives that encourage and support academic success, athletic achievement, and emotional well-being of student athletes.
• Encourage the professional development of the administrative and coaching staffs through mentorship, promote their accomplishments and perpetuate a culture of positive morale.
• Provide full compliance with all applicable state, NCAA, Peach Belt Conference, Southland Conference, federal, and university rules and regulations.
• Be front facing in the community among individuals and corporations via participation in both internal and external events, various media activities; communicate and be an advocate for Augusta University Athletics throughout the region and on a national stage.
• Responsible for compliance with all of the regulations of Title IX related to athletics in the administration of all intercollegiate athletic programs, policies, and procedures.
• Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred.
• Leads with the highest ethical and moral standards.
• Knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations.
• Demonstrated commitment to a program of academic and athletic excellence.
• Demonstrated experience in donor development and fundraising
Augusta University invites nominations and applications or expressions of interest to be submitted to the search firm assisting the university. Applications must include a cover letter, resume or curriculum vitae, and list of references. For full consideration, application materials should be submitted to Parker Executive Search’s website by July 13, 2022. Confidential review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made.
For additional information, please contact:
Daniel Parker, Vice President and Managing Director
Grant Higgison, Principal
DeLaina Jordan, Senior Associate
Taylor Middleton, Associate
Parker Executive Search
firstname.lastname@example.org | email@example.com | firstname.lastname@example.org | email@example.com
770-804-1996 ext. 116 | 770-804-1996 ext. 118 | 770-804-1996 ext. 119 | 770-804-1996 ext. 124
Augusta University, a unit of the University System of Georgia, is an equal opportunity educational institution and is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.