The Board of Trustees of the University of Wyoming (UW) is conducting a search for its next President. The President reports directly to the UW Board of Trustees, whose twelve voting members are appointed by the Governor. UW seeks a bold visionary President with high energy, an ability to work effectively with diverse constituents, and the capability to lead the institution in fulfilling the university's public land-grant mission.
THE UNIVERSITY OF WYOMING
Established as a land-grant institution in 1886, UW has since grown to nearly 200 areas of study, drawing 12,500+ students from all 50 states and 90 countries. UW is the state’s only four-year university and is a nationally recognized teaching and research university. UW is known for its accomplished faculty and world-class facilities, its small student/faculty ratio, and quality undergraduate and graduate programs within its colleges of Arts & Sciences, Agriculture & Natural Resources, Business, Education, Engineering & Applied Science, Health Sciences, Law, School of Energy Resources, and Haub School of Environment and Natural Resources.
The University also maintains the University of Wyoming – Casper, ten outreach education centers across Wyoming, and agricultural extension offices scattered throughout the state's 23 counties and on the Wind River Indian Reservation. UW has strong working relationships with Wyoming's seven community colleges and economic development groups in key areas of the state, as well as the NCAR-Wyoming Supercomputing Center. It is a Carnegie doctoral/research university with high research activity, attracting over $80 million in contracts and grants last year. UW plays a key role in the state's economy, and its research attracts national and international attention.
The State of Wyoming invests strongly in higher education, providing the highest amount of state support per student in the nation. Consequently, UW has the lowest undergraduate tuition among the nation's public doctoral universities. The University also benefits from a $500 million endowed student scholarship program, a robust capital construction budget, an active and successful foundation, a publicly and privately supported endowed faculty program, and state funding for UW's several areas of academic excellence.
The University community is working collaboratively to help the University reinforce and strengthen its reputation as it adapts to changing economic factors in the state and beyond. The University’s strategic roadmap, “Breaking Through 2017-2022: A Strategic Plan for the University of Wyoming,” shows that is it’s an exciting time to be a part of UW as it embarks on new and exciting opportunities. To learn more: http://www.uwyo.edu.
Laramie, Wyoming, a town of more than 31,000 with a unique blend of sophistication and western hospitality, not only provides an environment for success but also offers varied academic and lifestyle opportunities. Laramie is a great place to live and work as it boasts low cost of living, no state income tax as well as incredible outdoor recreational opportunities, an eclectic downtown area, and a great public school system.
The Board prefers outstanding candidates who possess:
- A compelling vision, impeccable integrity, and exemplary leadership ability to ensure that UW conveys and fulfills a commitment to its Land Grant mission, and offers quality higher education instruction and research relevant to the 21st century;
- A strong commitment to educating students with diverse academic interests so that they have the abilities to succeed in life;
- An ability to promote excellence in faculty and staff, insight into the mission and issues of higher education, commitment to academic freedom and an environment of tolerance and respect;
- The capability to build trust and unite diverse groups ranging from students, faculty and staff to business and community leaders, community college presidents and elected officials; strong interpersonal skills are extremely important in Wyoming;
- A belief in and commitment to outreach in sustaining partnerships throughout the state; and identifying both ongoing and emerging state and community educational needs;
- Strong managerial skills, including a significant understanding of finances, budgets and accounting systems; capable of leading planning processes in academics, student recruitment, management and athletics and developing the internal discipline to implement them;
- An appreciation of and commitment to expand UW's participation in the state’s economic development;
- Experience as a successful fundraiser, particularly in overseeing and promoting the mission and goals of a dynamic UW Foundation;
- Significant knowledge of Division I athletics and the relationship between athletics and academic achievement;
- Appreciation for the value of the arts;
- A strong enthusiasm and vision for building a strong distance education program to enhance access;
- A good listener, who possesses both candor and a sense of humor;
- Master’s degree required; terminal preferred.
APPLICATIONS AND NOMINATIONS
The Presidential Search Committee invites letters of nomination, applications (letter of interest, resume/CV and contact information for at least five professional references) or expressions of interest to be submitted to the search firm assisting the University of Wyoming. Confidential review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made. It is preferred, however, that all nominations and applications be submitted prior to January 10, 2020 to:
Laurie C. Wilder, President
Porsha L. Williams, Vice President
Parker Executive Search
Five Concourse Parkway, Suite 2900
Atlanta, Georgia 30328
770-804-1996 ext. 102 or 109
firstname.lastname@example.org | email@example.com
UW is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Educator and Employer. We are committed to a multicultural environment and strongly encourage applications from women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities. In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation to apply for a position, please call 307-766-2377 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.