The University of Virginia’s College at Wise
The University of Virginia’s College at Wise (UVa-Wise) is a public, four-year residential liberal arts college located in the lush mountains of Southwest Virginia. As a COPLAC member institution, UVa-Wise is nationally-accredited and has been nationally-ranked among top public liberal art colleges in the U.S. UVa-Wise offers 31 majors, 37 minors, and 17 teaching licensures, and it is home to Virginia’s only undergraduate degree program in software engineering. Established in 1954 as a division of the University of Virginia, it is guided by the values of citizenship and altruism. Proud of its Appalachian heritage, the College continues to honor its commitment of service to Southwest Virginia, the nation, and the world. The College is guided by a legacy of teaching and scholarly excellence and by a dedication to quality in both the arts and sciences and professional programs. Under the leadership of Chancellor Donna P. Henry and her dedicated staff and dynamic faculty, the College enters an exciting new era that includes substantial investments and achievements in undergraduate research, nationally recognized faculty scholarship, and landmark legislation affording in-state tuition to students across the entire Appalachian Regional Commission. Above all, The University of Virginia’s College at Wise is a diverse community of people who believe that information can be transformed into knowledge and that teaching and learning create a foundation for wisdom.
The Wise community has social and cultural roots that trace back through generations of US history. The historic downtown and Main Street area is home to an array of historically significant buildings, locally-owned shops, and mouth-watering dining options. Stunning mountain vistas and abundant scenic spaces also make Wise a haven for outdoor activities such as hiking, kayaking, camping, and fishing.
While physically remote and largely rural, the Wise community is full of people leading globally relevant lives. The symbiotic relationship and community culture established between the town of Wise and UVa-Wise’s faculty and students is a strong one that will continue for years to come.
Reporting directly to the Chancellor, the Provost serves as the Chief Academic Officer of the institution and has oversight over the Division of Academic Affairs and will provide leadership over the Council of Chairs. The successful candidate will possess the vision necessary to enhance the reputation of the College and inspire and collaborate with faculty to strengthen academic programs and leverage new opportunities amongst the academic departments. The successful candidate will have an earned doctorate in a traditional liberal arts discipline with qualifications meriting appointment at the rank of full professor.
Other Preferred Qualifications
- Experience in a liberal arts institution;
- Experience developing a student-centric academic vision and creating an effective plan and implementation process to achieve that vision;
- Demonstrated effectiveness in leading and supporting a strong administrative team;
- Ability to manage a complex academic organization and to work effectively with colleagues across the departments;
- Strong financial and budgetary management skills;
- Strong commitment to collegial, consultative processes and to shared governance;
- Strong skills in enrollment management, academic program planning, and financial and personnel management;
- Track record in supporting internationalization, undergraduate research, diversity, interdisciplinary collaborations and the use of technology to complement innovative instruction and learning;
- Experience developing interdisciplinary programs and collaborations;
- Strong commitment to student success and commitment to the values of public service and community outreach;
- Extraordinary communication skills, strong interpersonal skills, and a high level of professional integrity.
The Provost Search Committee invites nominations, applications (a letter of interest, resume/CV, and the names and contact information of five or more references) or expressions of interest to be submitted to the search firm assisting The University of Virginia’s College at Wise. Review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. It is preferred, however, that all nominations and applications be submitted to the search firm prior to July 30, 2019. For additional information, please contact:
Porsha L. Williams, Vice President
Erin Raines, Principal
Parker Executive Search
Five Concourse Parkway, Suite 2900 | Atlanta, GA 30328
Phone: 770-804-1996 x109 or x112
email@example.com | firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of Virginia’s College at Wise is fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.