The University of South Alabama (USA) invites applications and nominations for the position of Dean of the College of Engineering.
About the College
The College of Engineering at the University of South Alabama is recognized for the quality of its graduates. The mission of the College of Engineering is to provide students with high-quality, accessible undergraduate and graduate engineering education; to prepare graduates for professional careers and lifelong learning; to create and disseminate knowledge; and to serve society through economic and technological development of the Gulf Coast, the State of Alabama and the nation. The College has five academic departments and 46 full-time faculty positions. It offers five baccalaureate degrees, four master’s degrees, and a doctoral degree in Systems Engineering. Our enrollment for fall of 2018 includes 1,210 undergraduate students, 51 master’s students, and 16 doctoral students. In 2017-18 the College awarded 215 undergraduate degrees, 32 master’s degrees and 2 doctoral degrees. The foundation of the College of Engineering is its excellent faculty with their dedication to teaching and the researching of new knowledge.
Role and Responsibilities
The Dean, reporting to the Provost, serves as the chief academic officer for the College, and guides the College’s effort in academic curriculum development, faculty and staff development, research and scholarly activity, external fundraising and the building of partnerships with the industry community and alumni. USA seeks an innovative leader with strong leadership skills, committed to establishing collaborative relationships, within an environment in which faculty and stakeholders are engaged partners. The Dean will be expected to elevate the level of excellence of USA’s renowned high quality, hands-on profession-oriented education, nurturing students to be career-ready professionals. The Dean will also be expected to enhance the research mission of the college, including facilitating increased sponsored research support.
The ideal candidate should have an earned terminal degree in an engineering field represented by one of the College’s disciplines and should demonstrate evidence of scholarly, professional, and creative achievement sufficient to qualify for tenure at the rank of Professor. In addition, the following qualifications are preferred:
- A record of fostering academic excellence in undergraduate and graduate education and scholarly research, and distinguished contributions to engineering;
- Ability to develop a bold vision for the future of the College that enhances the research enterprise and promotes student success at the undergraduate and graduate level;
- Capacity to identify, recruit and retain strong faculty and leadership for the College;
- Broad knowledge of the educational trends, engineering practice, multi-disciplinary research and collaboration with the industry;
- Demonstrated experience overseeing large, complex budgets, fiscal matters, strategic planning and personnel management;
- A track record of successful fundraising and talent for identifying entrepreneurial opportunities;
- Ability to enhance the diversity among faculty, staff and students;
- Strong collaboration and consensus building skills and the ability to communicate with multiple constituencies and foster partnerships with other Colleges, universities and industry stakeholders;
- Experience leading and organizing with the ABET accreditation process;
- Strong communication skills and a commitment to transparency, collaboration and shared decision-making.
The University and Region
The University of South Alabama (www.southalabama.edu) is classified as a doctoral university: high research activity. The University is a major center of high-quality undergraduate, graduate, medical and professional education located on the North Central Gulf Coast, enrolling approximately 15,000 students. USA recently embarked on an ambitious strategic plan to focus on five institutional priorities: student success and access, enhancement of research and graduate education, global engagement, excellence in health care, and university-community and engagement. The University of South Alabama offers more than 30 graduate and professional degree programs across all ten colleges and schools of the University.
The University is located in Mobile, Alabama (www.mobile.org), recognized as a vibrant business, cultural, and recreational hub, located conveniently between the Florida Panhandle and New Orleans. Mobile is experiencing an economic surge across a diverse range of industries. Local industries include manufacturing (aerospace, shipbuilding, carbon and stainless steel), logistics (Port of Mobile, several rail lines, and Mobile’s Downtown Airport, used by FedEx and UPS), specialty chemicals (Evonik, Mitsubishi Polycrystalline, Ineos Phenol, BASF, and others), as well as maritime interests, healthcare, and technology, supported through USA’s 160-acre Technology and Research Park, adjacent to the main campus. The University of South Alabama endeavors to play a critical role in this ongoing regional economic growth.
Nominations and applications (letter of interest, CV, and contact information of at least five references), or expressions of interest should be submitted to the search firm assisting the University. Review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made. It is preferred that all nominations and applications be submitted prior to March 21, 2019:
The University of South Alabama is an EO/AA employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression), religion, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.