The University of South Alabama (USA) invites applications for the position of Chief Medical Officer (CMO) for the University of South Alabama Health System (USA Health). USA seeks a dynamic, highly accomplished, and visionary leader to advance clinical, quality, and safety initiatives across USA Health.
USA Health helps people lead longer, better lives through its excellence in education, research, and medical care. With more than 3,600 employees, the USA Health network includes USA Medical Center, USA Children's & Women's Hospital, USA Mitchell Cancer Institute, USA Physicians Group, and the USA College of Medicine. Each year, our team of 180 physicians, 240 residents and fellows, 70 advanced practice providers, and 800 nurses handle some 185,000 clinic visits and 350,000 outpatient procedures. USA Health delivers 2,800 babies a year, more than any other regional hospital, and treats patients through some 60,000 emergency room visits annually.
As an academic health center, USA Health provides advanced and innovative patient care through its University hospitals and clinics, as well as first-class training experiences for the next generation of physicians and scientists. In doing so, USA Health has a significant positive impact on the quality of life for all residents across the Gulf Coast both directly and indirectly.
The University of South Alabama is a comprehensive, global research and teaching university that provides students a quality education in business, the liberal arts, education, engineering, computing, the sciences, and health care. USA’s commitment to student success includes incredible opportunities in nearly 100 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral degree programs. USA prepares students for careers in healthcare through the colleges of Medicine, Nursing, and Allied Health Professions.
Reporting to the CEO and Senior Associate Vice President for Medical Affairs, the CMO will be responsible for leading clinical, quality, and safety initiatives that support the performance and practice standards across the health system. The CMO will develop and execute system-wide initiatives to improve access and processes to existing system and the development of new services. As a key member of the senior executive team, the CMO will work closely with both the academic practices and external practices to ensure the quality, safety and efficiency of care delivery. In addition, it is expected the CMO:
- Will be responsible for the overall quality and safety initiatives of the health system including but not limited to performance improvement teams, national patient safety goals, quality data reporting, and hospital acquired condition monitoring and prevention. These responsibilities include:
- The selection of metrics which can be tracked and used to facilitate care delivery.
- The establishment and implementation of standards for timely data collection.
- The dissemination of performance related data to clinicians (dashboard).
- The establishment of clinician specific quality and safety benchmarks.
- Facilitates communication among Medical Staff members and Resident Medical Staff Members regarding clinical issues of importance.
- Will be responsible for Medical Staff peer review activities including credentialing, privileging, and professionalism.
- As a member of the health system senior management team works directly in the development and implementation of the health system’s strategic plan.
- Works directly with clinical chairs and other members of the senior leadership team in the evaluation and development of new services considered by the health system.
- Works directly with clinical chairs in the personnel evaluation of medical staff members with respect to patient care responsibilities or behavior in clinical areas.
- Works closely with Medical Center, Ambulatory, and Children’s and Women’s hospital Administrators as well as the health system Chief Strategy Officer to identify practice needs and opportunities of the health system and in the community.
- As part of the senior leadership team, provides input to the negotiation and coordination of managed care and Medicare Advantage contracting for the health system.
- Serves as a key senior leader in the assuring compliance with licensure, accreditation, and certification standards for the health system.
- Works in a consultative role with the Care Management Department.
- Collaborates in supply chain management evaluating opportunities to improve the quality and cost effectiveness of supplies opportunities throughout the system.
- Engages in the development and implementation of the health systems electronic health record to allow for appropriate utilization of clinical data and feedback.
- Works with department chairs to develop highly functional hospitalist program to meet the ongoing needs of the hospitals.
- Promotes collaboration with community-based physicians.
- Works with the medical staff and administrative staff to ensure the cost effective delivery of care.
- Promotes effective patient flow to diminish LOS, wait times, and maximize operational efficiencies.
- Works with the DIO and chairs to educate and monitor residents’ performance in quality, safety, costs, and efficiencies.
- Coordinates and works closely with the Senior Management of USA Health including the Ambulatory Services division.
- Meets with College of Medicine leadership to coordinate activities.
- Oversees other projects as directed by the Vice President for Medical Affairs and Dean of the College of Medicine.
- Participates in hospital and health system medical executive committees.
- Participates on a limited scale in clinical activities based on CMO’s medical specialty.
It is required the CMO holds an M.D., D.O., or equivalent from an accredited program and is able to be licensed to practice medicine in Alabama. In addition, it is preferred that the CMO possesses:
- Extensive experience with the above listed position responsibilities;
- Five to ten years of physician leadership experience;
- Excellence oral and written communication skills;
- Leadership capability and technical proficiency; and
- The ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
The Search Committee invites nominations, applications (letter of interest, comprehensive curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information of at least five references), or expressions of interest to be submitted to the search firm assisting USA Health. Confidential review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made. The Search Committee prefers that all nominations and applications be submitted to the search firm prior to March 13, 2018.
Laurie C. Wilder, President
Jacob C. Anderson, Principal
Parker Executive Search
Five Concourse Parkway, Suite 2900
Atlanta, GA 30328
(770) 804-1996 x 111
The University of South Alabama is an EO/AA employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression), religion, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.