The University of Memphis seeks nominations and applications for the position of Dean for the Fogelman College of Business & Economics.
About the University
The University of Memphis is a leading, student-centered, metropolitan research institution. Located in Memphis, Tennessee, the University serves a population of more than 21,000 students and 2,500 employees including 930 full-time faculty; offers 17 bachelor’s degrees in more than 250 areas of study, master’s degrees in 54 subjects, and doctoral degrees in 26 disciplines; supports $55 million in research funding; and has an operating budget of $500 million.
The University is seeking an innovative Dean to provide strategic leadership for the College. The desired candidate will have a proven track record of delivering results, leading change, implementing innovative solutions, developing his/her team and working collaboratively across a complex organization and a broad range of community partners.
About the College
The College offers a selection of degree programs tailored to the needs of students and professionals who are pursuing a wide range of careers. Regardless of which degree program one might choose, a decision to come to the Fogelman College at the University of Memphis for higher education enables students to develop an in-depth understanding of today's challenging and ever-changing business environment.
In the fall of 2017, the College’s enrollment was just under 3,000 students, with over 2,300 undergraduate students and over 600 graduate and Ph.D. students. Fogelman College offers eight undergraduate business majors, five different master’s degree programs and a Ph.D. in Business Administration with six concentrations. As students’ needs continue to change, so does access to education. Many of the current course offerings are accessible in a traditional classroom setting, as well as online, for both undergraduate and graduate classes.
Fogelman College holds both business and accounting accreditation from AACSB International, an honor earned by less than 5% of business schools world-wide, and is the only AACSB school in the Memphis metropolitan area. The College has maintained continuous accreditation since 1970.
The FCBE has 97 full-time faculty, including 10 Chairs of Excellence Professors. Nearly 90% of the faculty have doctoral degrees and faculty hold doctoral degrees from over 50 respected universities.
About the Position
The dean serves as a senior administrative officer who reports directly to the Provost and is responsible for the academic, programmatic, administrative, and fiscal leadership of the Fogelman College of Business & Economics at the University of Memphis.
- Chief academic and executive officer for the Fogelman College of Business & Economics.
- Actively engages in fundraising and development activities to support the vision and mission of the College.
- Oversees assessment and AACSB International accreditation experience.
- Responsible for overseeing global and local engagement, research, undergraduate and graduate education and success; faculty, staff and student development; grants and other external funding.
- Responsible for academic and strategic planning for the College and enhancing its image and brand.
- Works with faculty to provide support for undergraduate and graduate curricular improvement and innovation.
The successful candidate should have:
- Demonstrated ability to motivate stakeholders and to develop and engage in collaborative relationships;
- Demonstrated ability to participate in shared governance;
- Proven record of significant fundraising and major gift acquisition that will allow the College to reach its goals and objectives;
- Ability to foster partnerships and programs to advance the College’s and University’s goals;
- Demonstrated ability to enhance brand management in business or higher education;
- Strong communication skills;
- High energy coupled with enthusiastic leadership abilities;
- Broad understanding of the direction of business education and research and the ability to articulate the College’s vision that positions the College as a successful enterprise;
- Corporate or consultancy experience with the private business sector;
- Strong commitment to promoting diversity and inclusion as well as community-wide social justice initiatives.
Nomination and Application Process
Parker Executive Search is assisting the University of Memphis in the search for the Dean. The Search Committee invites letters of nomination, applications (letter of interest, full resume/CV, and contact information of at least five references), or expressions of interest to be submitted to the search firm assisting the University. Review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made. It is preferred, however, that all nominations and applications be submitted prior to August 30, 2018. Please submit applications through the Parker Executive Search website. For additional information, please contact:
Laurie Wilder, President
Porsha Williams, Vice President
Grant Higgison, Associate
Parker Executive Search
Five Concourse Parkway, Suite 2900
Atlanta, GA 30328
770-804-1996 ext.: 118
firstname.lastname@example.org || email@example.com
The University of Memphis does not discriminate against students, employees, or applicants for admission or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, age, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or any other legally protected class with respect to all employment, programs and activities sponsored by the University of Memphis.