The University of Massachusetts Amherst (UMass Amherst) invites applications and nominations for the position of the Vice Chancellor and Chief Information Officer (CIO).
Reporting directly to the Chancellor, the Vice Chancellor and CIO will provide strategic vision and leadership to the University in conjunction with the UMass System to advance the teaching, research, and service missions through the use of technology. The Vice Chancellor and CIO has the charge to advance student, faculty, and staff productivity with technology innovations and support. The Vice Chancellor and CIO’s responsibilities also include, but are not limited to:
- Defining and implementing a vision and IT roadmap that aligns with the strategic vision, mission, and values of UMass Amherst to advance the University;
- Providing technology thought leadership to members of the University Executive and IT teams;
- Ensuring the establishment and application of best in class technology standards, industry trends, and emerging technologies;
- Working closely with academic leadership to develop new approaches and tools for learning and research to support institutional efforts to build online educational models;
- Creating a culture of quality customer service and overseeing provision of end-user services;
- Leading and managing IT teams and supporting their professional development efforts;
- Managing and prioritizing the diverse and competing needs of University constituency groups and providing effective project planning and execution;
- Establishing and maintaining strong campus partnerships to achieve institutional goals.
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst is one of the major public research universities in America. Nestled in idyllic Amherst, Massachusetts, the campus is consistently ranked among the top public research universities in the nation, and offers a rich cultural environment in a rural setting close to major urban centers.
The mission of the University of Massachusetts Amherst is to create a positive impact on the Commonwealth and the broader society we serve through education and advancing knowledge. As the flagship public university in Massachusetts, we cherish and add to the Commonwealth’s long tradition of intellectual and educational leadership.
Our institution is rooted in the idea that any qualified individual, regardless of wealth or social status, should have access to high-quality higher education. We draw from and support diverse experiences and perspectives as an essential strength of this learning community and accept for ourselves and instill in our students an ongoing commitment to create a better, more just world.
Our vision is to dramatically improve every aspect of the University of Massachusetts Amherst so as to ascend into the ranks of the top 20 public universities in America, as measured by nationally and internationally recognized criteria. We intend to deliver, for the people of Massachusetts and beyond, a public university that shares the same qualities of excellence, impact, and outcomes as the best public universities in the nation and the world.
- Excellence. In whatever we choose to do, we strive for excellence.
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusiveness. We are committed to the success and well-being of every individual in our community regardless of group identity.
- Openness. As a university, we are committed to free and open intellectual inquiry and expression.
- Integrity and Stewardship. As a community, we set high standards for personal responsibility and institutional integrity, and hold ourselves accountable in managing institutional resources and for advancing sustainability of our planet.
- Innovation. We stimulate, recognize, and reward innovation and creativity.
- Impact. We aim to create far-reaching impact on society by welcoming students and faculty from around the world and assisting them to contribute to the welfare of people both locally and globally.
The minimal qualifications for the successful candidate will include progressive leadership experience with responsibilities in a complex university or college environment, including experiences with: strategic planning; effective project planning and execution; and fiscal and personnel management. In addition, candidates should have:
- Bachelor’s degree and ten years of information technology experience (required);
- Advanced degree (preferred);
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to cultivate an inclusive environment, build effective teams, and work collaboratively with staff, peers and external partners in a decentralized institutional model;
- Demonstrated knowledge and significant technical competence incurrent and emerging technologies, especially those relevant to higher education and the operations of a large research university;
- Ability to understand organizational needs and translate them into effective technical solutions.
UMass Amherst invites letters of nomination, applications (letter of interest, full resume/CV, and contact information of at least five references), or expressions of interest to be submitted to the search firm assisting the University. Review of materials will begin immediately and continue until an appointment is made. Please send application materials to:
Laurie C. Wilder, President
Porsha L. Williams, Vice President
Parker Executive Search
Five Concourse Parkway, Suite 2900 | Atlanta, GA 30328
770-804-1996 ext. 109
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.