The University of Houston-Clear Lake (UHCL) seeks a visionary leader to serve as its next Assistant Vice President for Information Technology and Chief Information Officer (CIO).
The Assistant Vice President for Information Technology and Chief Information Officer (CIO) serves as the senior officer responsible for providing leadership and management to UHCL Computing and Telecommunications Services (UCT) and is responsible for campus-wide planning, management, security, and coordination of the technology resources. Directly reporting to the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost, this position represents the University in information technology-related matters with federal and state agencies, corporate entities, and other institutions of higher education. The CIO provides visionary leadership, strategic development and creative technology solutions, with a customer-focused approach, for all University technology, and communication services. In addition, it is imperative the CIO:
- Provides strategic vision, management, and leadership of UCT towards advancing the teaching, research, and service missions of UHCL through the use of technology;
- Ensures that the vision aligns with the mission, vision and values of UHCL;
- Creates a culture of quality customer-service-focused technology solutions and services that benefit faculty, staff, and students;
- Ensures compliance with the University’s institutional mission, vision, and values by establishing goals and objectives, reviewing and approving departmental plans, designing systems of effective control to achieve expected outcomes, and evaluating progress towards goal accomplishment in the information services division;
- Ensures prompt and effective delivery of essential administrative and academic information technology services by organizing the various operational units and sub-units in a logical, non-duplicative, effective and customer-service manner that best meets the work requirements of the division and the needs of the University;
- Monitors workloads throughout the division and prioritizes staffing needs accordingly, while assuming ultimate responsibility for the units and functions within the information services division;
- Develops a competent, productive, and diverse staff, both directly and through delegation, by hiring, training, evaluating performance, and supervising all employees of the information services division;
- Serves as UHCL’s Information Resource Manager (IRM) with the Texas Department of Information Resources;
- Protects the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of University data and information systems; and
- Strengthens the University’s preparedness, timely response, and rapid recovery in the event of a cyber-attack, natural disaster, or other emergency.
It is required that the CIO possess demonstrated progressive relevant leadership experience in higher education and a Bachelor’s degree in computer science, management information systems, or relevant field. In addition, it is preferred the CIO possess:
- A Master’s degree or higher;
- Chief Information Officer or Senior IT leadership experience at an institution of higher education;
- An ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse university community;
- Sufficient comprehension of modern technological problems, institutional needs to understand faculty, staff, and student requests or problems and to respond in a timely, effective and understanding fashion;
- Adaptability to adjust to, learn, and implement new hardware/software technologies;
- Ability enforce policies and procedures, supervise staff, and deal with stressful situations and multiple projects/tasks;
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills, as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills; and
- Knowledge of trends, issues, and accepted practices relevant to the position.
University of Houston-Clear Lake
University of Houston-Clear Lake has provided educational opportunities to students in the Houston-Galveston area since 1974. As a regional comprehensive university, UH-Clear Lake offers more than 95 undergraduate, graduate and doctoral degree programs through its four colleges including the Colleges of Business, Education, Human Sciences and Humanities, and Science and Engineering. The University has additional campus locations in nearby Pearland and at the Texas Medical Center. The university currently serves more than 9,000 students as well as proudly boasts more than 68,000 alumni.
University of Houston System
As the region’s largest provider of comprehensive university services, from the baccalaureate to the doctorate, the University of Houston System plays an essential role in meeting the higher education needs of the Houston metropolitan area and Texas. The UH System serves more than 72,000 students, has an annual budget that exceeds $1.7 billion, and produces a $6 billion-plus economic impact on the Greater Houston area each year. The UH System includes the University of Houston, UH-Clear Lake, UH-Downtown and UH-Victoria.
The Search Committee invites letters of nomination, applications (with a letter of interest, a complete CV, and a list of at least five references), to be submitted to the search firm assisting UHCL. Review of materials will begin immediately, and continue until an appointment is made. For full consideration, please submit nominations and applications by September 2, 2019. Applications received after this date may be considered at the discretion of the hiring authority.
Jacob C. Anderson, Principal
Parker Executive Search
Five Concourse Parkway, Suite 2900
Atlanta GA, 30328
(770) 804-1996 x 111
The University of Houston-Clear Lake values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity for all persons regardless of age, color, disability, ethnicity, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other status protected by law.