The University of Arizona Health Sciences invites nominations, applications, or expressions of interest for the position of Associate Vice President for Finance and Administration.
The Associate Vice President for Finance and Administration provides financial vision as well as strategic and operational leadership to ensure the University of Arizona Health Sciences (UAHS) is able to deliver on its critical mission and achieve its remarkable potential. Reporting to the Senior Vice President for Health Sciences, and serving as the UAHS chief financial officer, the Associate Vice President for Finance and Administration will work in concert with UAHS deans (College of Medicine-Phoenix, College of Medicine-Tucson, College of Nursing, College of Pharmacy, and College of Public Health) and center and institute leaders to develop strategies that promote healthy financial performance and successful achievement of shared operational goals.
- Provide direction and oversight for the divisions which manage the institution’s fiscal, human and physical resources;
- Bring expert and creative thinking for maintaining a sustainable financial model for UAHS;
- Create, implement, and maintain planning, budget, accounting, and reporting systems that are accurate, flexible, and inclusive of University, Banner Health, Foundation, and other sources;
- Prepare, analyze, interpret, and present budget and financial information as needed to support strategic decision-making and financial planning;
- Model, forecast, and evaluate financial aspects of new and modified programs and activities;
- Provide direction and oversight for financial and business processes and operations;
- Ensure a sound system of internal and business controls for financial and business processes;
- Advise the finance leads within colleges, centers, and institutes on matters related to business and financial management;
- Create a consistent approach to managing and evaluating finances across the University of Arizona Health Sciences by establishing a community of professional practice and set of practice standards for business and financial professionals within UAHS colleges, centers, and institutes;
- Work closely with members of the financial team at Banner Medical Group to facilitate a collaborative approach to financial funds flow and budget reconciliation within the partnership;
- Ensure the UAHS colleges have an integrated quantitative data support structure to permit optimal financial planning, budget forecasting, and accounting, as well as the tools to allow easy and accurate tracking of grant expenditures and financial performance.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
- Ability to manage a complex, multi-million dollar budget;
- Skill in sharing financial information with diverse audiences;
- Ability to mentor and lead multiple teams
- Ability to communicate effectively to a variety of audiences
- Knowledge of best practices in fiscal management;
- Familiarity with academic medicine financial funds flow issues;
- Ability to manage competing demands;
- Proficiency with financial database management systems and reporting tools;
- Ability to inspire confidence and trust among business and finance professionals throughout the University of Arizona community and with the Arizona Board of Regents.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration or relate field AND 10 years of related experience;
- Knowledge of accounting principles and experience in their application;
- Demonstrated skill in financial analysis/modeling, long-range/strategic planning and fiscal management of a complex budget with multiple funding sources;
- Demonstrated ability to extract information and data from major reporting systems;
- Ability to organize and present financial information to support effective decision-making;
- Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community;
- An unwavering commitment to making the University of Arizona Health Sciences a diverse and inclusive community;
- A record of personal and professional integrity;
- A leadership style that promotes creativity, teamwork, and strategic thinking.
- Master’s degree in business administration or related field;
- Certified Public Accountant;
- Experience in higher education administration;
- Experience in an academic health center environment.
About UA Health Sciences
The University of Arizona Health Sciences is the statewide leader in biomedical research and health professions training. The UA Health Sciences includes the UA Colleges of Medicine (Phoenix and Tucson), Nursing, Pharmacy and Mel and Enid Zuckerman College of Public Health, with main campus locations in Tucson and the growing Phoenix Biomedical Campus in downtown Phoenix.
From these vantage points, the UA Health Sciences reaches across the state of Arizona and the greater Southwest to provide cutting-edge health education, research, patient care and community outreach services. A major economic engine, the UA Health Sciences employs almost 4,000 people, has nearly 800 faculty members, 5,900 students, and garners more than $173 million in research grants and contracts annually.
APPLICATION AND NOMINATION PROCESS
The Search Committee invites nominations, applications (letter of interest, resume/CV, and contact information of at least five references), or expressions of interest to be submitted to the search firm assisting the University. Confidential review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made. It is preferred, however, that all nominations and applications be submitted prior to February 25, 2019:
The University of Arizona is committed to creating and maintaining an environment free of discrimination. In support of this commitment, the University prohibits discrimination, including harassment and retaliation, based on a protected classification, including race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information.