The University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) School of Education is seeking an innovative and energetic Associate Dean for Programs. This position begins July 1, 2020. The mission of the UAB School of Education is centered on our commitment to developing and sharing knowledge that supports education, health, and wellness professionals who serve diverse worlds in urban and rural contexts. The Associate Dean of Programs reports to the Dean and coordinates schoolwide academic planning, the enhancement of programs, and the improvement of curriculum and teaching. Our outstanding faculty are not only leaders in their fields, but also excellent mentors and educators who inspire others to grow and learn. We make a difference in the lives of our students and in the communities they serve.
The Associate Dean for Programs is a senior administrator in the School of Education who works to support the school in accomplishing its mission, with a particular emphasis on supporting programs and leading school-level accreditation. The Associate Dean for Programs will: lead school-level accreditation; oversee reporting requirements at the university, state, and national levels; oversee the Office of Clinical Experiences, the Office of Student Services, facilitate program development and approval efforts; facilitate continuous data-based improvement of programs, and work with the Dean in promoting overall well-being of the School of Education.
The successful candidate will have a terminal degree in a program area represented in the University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Education and academic credentials equivalent to obtain a faculty appointment with rank and tenure negotiable.
Preferred Qualifications Include:
- Academic credentials equivalent to the rank of full Professor at the University of Alabama at Birmingham;
- Demonstrated experience with program development and accreditation;
- Demonstrated ability to implement federal and state regulations governing educator preparation programs;
- Excellent problem-solving and interpersonal skills;
- In depth knowledge of the standards of the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP);
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and the ability to work effectively with others;
- Demonstrated ability to initiate, establish, and foster communication and teamwork by maintaining a positive, cooperative, productive work atmosphere;
- A commitment to creating and sustaining an equitable, diverse, and inclusive environment within the School of Education.
Nominations and applications (letters of interest, resume/CV and contact information of at least five references), or expressions of interest can be submitted to the search firm assisting the University. Review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made. However, it is preferred, that all applications and nominations should be submitted by March 4, 2020 to:
UAB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer committed to fostering a diverse, equitable and family-friendly environment in which all faculty and staff can excel and achieve work/life balance irrespective of, race, national origin, age, genetic or family medical history, gender, faith, gender identity and expression as well as sexual orientation. UAB also encourages applications from individuals with disabilities and veterans. A pre-employment background investigation is performed on candidates selected for employment.