Southern Utah University (SUU) invites inquiries, nominations and applications for the position of Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs (Provost). As the chief academic officer of the University, the Provost provides leadership in all matters pertaining to academic services and scholarly activity at the University. This position reports directly to the President.
About the University
Southern Utah University is a comprehensive, regional university, located in Cedar City, Utah, with total enrollments in excess of 12,000 undergraduate and graduate students.
The University is situated in the heart of the largest concentration of national parks, monuments, and recreation areas in the United States, with the closest national park 20 minutes from campus. SUU is home of the Tony Award winning Utah Shakespeare Festival, sponsor of Division 1 athletics in the Big Sky Conference, and host of the Utah Summer Games.
Over the past five years, student enrollments at SUU have grown by 47%, the retention rate has increased by 13%, and the incoming freshman admissions index score (ACT score and high school GPA) is up 3%. International students, from 63 countries, represent 7% of the total student body—up 94% over the same period of time. SUU has created a fully accredited duel enrollment program, the first of its kind, with neighboring Southwest Technical College, launched a three-year bachelor’s degree program, and expanded online education. These successes and new programs are a credit to the outstanding faculty and staff who are committed to quality education and student success. SUU was just recognized as one of the 2019 Great Colleges to Work For.
The University serves its students through six colleges and schools, is part of the Utah System of Higher Education governed by the Utah State Board of Regents, and is accredited by Northwest Commission of Colleges and Universities. Additional information can be found at www.suu.edu.
About the Position
The Provost is responsible for the academic operations of the University, including all areas that affect academic programs, faculty appointments, tenure and promotions, scholarly and creative efforts, service, and building upon the positive learning environment. The Provost plays a key role in strategic planning, allocation of budgetary resources, student success, and the promotion of diversity, equity, and inclusion across campus. The specific interests, education, and experience, of each individual candidate will be considered during the selection process to modify or augment the specific duties and responsibilities listed herein.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Serves as a member of the President’s Cabinet, University Council, and other University policy and administrative bodies.
- Develops, administers, and promotes the academic programs and academic support functions of the University.
- Recommends to the President appointments, reviews, and promotions of the University’s academic personnel, including: the recruitment of faculty; the development, tenure, and promotion of faculty; University assessment and accreditation; and issues related to faculty morale.
- Coordinates and promotes academic proposals, changes, reviews, and other academic matters to the Board of Trustees, the Board of Regents, and other institutions or groups.
- Coordinates’ the University colleges/schools, Library, Continuing Education, academic support offices, and other academic activities.
- Coordinates educational policies and academic planning functions.
- Supports student success initiatives.
- Provides pertinent academic guidance and input on physical facilities planning and utilization.
- Serves as Chair of the Dean’s Council and as Chief Executive Officer of the University in the absence of or upon delegation by the President.
- An earned doctorate or terminal degree.
- Administrative experience at the dean level or above.
- Demonstrated leadership ability and communication skills.
- Demonstrated organizational and management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with people.
- Demonstrated success in teaching and scholarship at the college or university level.
- Honesty, integrity, reliability, courtesy and respect for others, consistency, and related positive character traits.
- Commitment to the academic and educational goals included in the University philosophy, planning, and mission statements.
Nomination and Application Process
Parker Executive Search is assisting Southern Utah University in the search for the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs. The Search Committee invites letters of nomination, applications (letter of interest, full resume/CV, and contact information of at least five references), or expressions of interest to be submitted to the search firm assisting the University. Review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made. It is preferred, however, that all nominations and applications be submitted prior to January 27, 2020. Please submit applications through the Parker Executive Search website. For additional information, please contact:
Laurie Wilder, President
Porsha Williams, Vice President
Grant Higgison, Principal
Parker Executive Search
Five Concourse Parkway, Suite 2900
Atlanta, GA 30328
770-804-1996 ext.: 118
email@example.com || firstname.lastname@example.org
Southern Utah University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against applicants due to race, ethnicity, gender, veteran status, or on the basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.