Prairie View A&M University invites applications and nominations for the next Chief Information Officer (CIO). The University seeks a transformational leader that will lead and cultivate innovation in technology to propel the institution to the next level of excellence.
About the University
Founded in 1876, Prairie View A&M University (PVAMU) is the second oldest public institution of higher learning in the state of Texas located about 40 miles northwest of Houston. A Historically Black College and University (HBCU), with an established reputation for producing agriculturalists, engineers, nurses and educators, PVAMU offers degrees across 36 bachelors, 30 master’s and 5 doctoral degree programs through eight colleges and schools. A member of The Texas A&M University System, the University is dedicated to fulfilling its land-grant mission of achieving excellence in teaching, research and service.
About the Role
The CIO will provide leadership, planning and management for information technology including strategy, development, and implementation/optimization within all university IT services, including outsourced IT services. In addition, the CIO will collaborate with key stakeholders, identify risks, evaluate trends, prioritize technology initiatives and make IT recommendations as appropriate to senior leadership. The CIO also ensures the evaluation, development and deployment of IT services and that projects are successfully completed with coordination of resources and timetables with stakeholders and partners. The CIO will be a member of the President’s Executive Committee and will report to the Senior Vice President for Business Affairs.
Additional Responsibilities include the following:
- Develop and maintain an IT strategic view and plan in concert with the growth and strategic planning of Prairie View A&M University. Lead IT governance committee, solve technical problems, and implement IT changes.
- Manage information resources, telecommunications technology functions, and web services supporting Prairie View A&M University, including the Northwest Houston Center and College of Nursing campus locations.
- Develop, maintain, administer and enforce information technology security strategies, policies and procedures for network availability, security and related issues. Ensure appropriate implementation and support for business, academic and research systems by managing and overseeing desktop services, enterprise applications, network administration, IT security, AV support, control access technology, and related areas.
- Manage outsourced vendors to maintain availability and performance of all systems to meet internal customer service level agreements. Ensure seamless technical and business integration with external vendor IT service providers.
- Develop, manage and guide the information technology budget, including capital expenses pertaining to ongoing and future projects. Optimize the IT spending on services, hardware and software to ensure cost effective operations. Maintain contact and build relationships with suppliers of IT services, hardware and software.
- Ensure overall compliance with regulations for retaining and securing data records associated with student and personnel records, financial records and research data. Develop and maintain resources focused on an effective disaster recovery plan to ensure effective recovery of IT systems and services in the event of an outage.
- Maintain a strong focus on customer service and communication. Select, train and supervise subordinate staff: plan, direct, coordinate and review staffing needs. Build, support and grow a positive workplace with all staff members and constituencies.
The ideal candidate will possess a Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering or related field and ten years of progressively responsible management experience in IT. It is preferred the successful candidate will have a master’s degree and a background in higher education, research or a similar environment.
Other preferred qualifications include:
- Experience with progressively responsible administrative and leadership experience in multifaceted organizations, with accountability for programmatic oversight, resource management, and employee development;
- Experience influencing senior-level management and key stakeholders, with the political sensitivity necessary to succeed;
- Significant experience in all aspects of information technology planning, development and implementation, including but not limited to enterprise resource planning, systems architecture, telecommunications, database administration, etc.
- In-depth knowledge and practical experience with recent developments in campus technology issues and awareness of current and emerging information technology infrastructure, principles and applications present at an emerging research university;
- A commitment to advancing the goals and strategies of the university through information technology, and a passion for customer service, collaboration and commitment;
- An understanding of technology’s potential to facilitate teaching and learning and the capacity to thrive in an educational environment with a dedication to student excellence and success;
- An effective knowledge of the financial, business and technical issues in IT, particularly those related to the higher education, decentralized and shared services environment;
- Experience with mechanisms of establishing, and assuring accountability and contact management of IT service providers, and the like;
- Experience as a fair, respectful leader and skilled administrator; proven ability to manage resources, human, financial, and physical, to maximize productivity and assure the highest quality work;
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion;
- The demonstrated disposition and commitment to collaborate; the ability to cultivate trust and credibility with colleagues and customers;
- The ability to create an efficient, effective and sustainable organization that is responsive to the needs of its constituencies and one that is known to provide exemplary customer service;
- Excellent communication skills, oral and written; the ability to convey technically complex information and concepts in accessible terms; excellent negotiation skills;
- A self-motivated, hard-working, results oriented professional with a high sense of accountability and stewardship;
- Commitment to the highest ethical and professional standards; personal and professional integrity above reproach.
Nominations and applications (letter of interest, resume/CV, and contact information of at least five references), or expressions of interest can be submitted to the search firm assisting the University. Review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made. It is preferred that all nominations and applications be submitted by March 15, 2019 to: