Middle Tennessee State University (MTSU) invites applications and nominations for the position of Dean of the College of Media and Entertainment. MTSU, with more than 21,000 students, is located 30 miles southeast of Nashville, Tennessee, at the epicenter of the dynamic, creative, and world-renowned music industry. The College is a recognized national and international leader in educating media and entertainment professionals.
The College consists of the Media Arts Department, the Recording Industry Department, and the School of Journalism and Strategic Media. This unique blend of programs includes 71 faculty members with diverse educational and professional backgrounds including Grammy, Emmy, etc. winners and nominees. The College has more than 2,400 majors in its undergraduate and graduate programs, including a unique MFA in Recording Arts and Technologies and a master’s degree in Media and Communication. The programs offer students extensive interaction with media professionals, including participation in national news and entertainment events. The College maintains two radio stations—(a 100, 000 watt affiliate of National Public Radio and a student-run station)--, a student-run TV station, the student-run and editorially independent newspaper, Sidelines, and a student-centered record label, Match Records. The Center for Popular Music, and the nation’s preeminent archive for study of America’s vernacular music, is a featured unit within the College. The Center for Innovation in Media, the Seigenthaler Chair of Excellence in First Amendment Studies, and the Office of Communication Research are also units within the College. The John Bragg Media and Entertainment Building houses state-of-the-art facilities and equipment, including multiple audio recording and mixing studios, an electronic music production lab, television production facilities, a mobile HD production truck, an immersive storytelling lab, a digital animation studio, and reporting, editing, photography and design labs.
The successful candidate should possess the following qualifications:
- Visionary leadership for a College known for its outstanding professional education;
- Extensive professional experience and a record of distinguished accomplishments in a field related to one or more of the programs in the College. Advanced degree preferred. Eligible for the rank of professor in a discipline in the College;
- Evidence of experience in current trends in new media, including emerging communication technologies and methodologies;
- A commitment to First Amendment principles and media ethics;
- Documented administrative experience in higher education or a discipline-related industry;
- Demonstrated commitment to fundraising and the ability to develop relationships with industry, professional group, and private donors;
- A commitment to faculty governance and openness to faculty and student concerns;
- Ability to communicate well with faculty, students, administrators, alumni, and external constituencies;
- Dedication to the diversity of the College’s programs, including support for effective curriculum, research, scholarship and creating and maintaining a diverse student, faculty and staff environment;
- Leadership skills to guide the College in the implementation of strategic planning and in completion of program accreditation/and program reviews;
- Experience in managing a significant planning and budgeting process;
- Proficiency and familiarity with digital and social media.
The Search Committee invites letters of nomination, applications (letter of interest, complete CV, and list of 5 references) or expressions of interest to be submitted to the search firm assisting the University. Confidential review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made. It is preferred, however, that all nominations and applications be submitted prior to July 15, 2019, to:
MTSU, a culturally diverse university, is an equal-opportunity, affirmative action educational institution and employer. Women, ethnic minorities, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
A Tennessee Higher Education Institution