Founded in 1940, Iona College is a four-year private, coeducational institution of learning in the tradition of the Edmund Rice Christian Brothers and American Catholic higher education. Iona’s 45-acre campus is just 20 miles north of Midtown Manhattan. With a total enrollment of nearly 4,000 students and an alumni base of over 45,000 around the world, Iona is a diverse community of learners and scholars dedicated to academic excellence and the values of justice, peace and service. Iona is highly accredited, offering undergraduate degrees in liberal arts, science, and business administration, as well as Master of Arts, Master of Science and Master of Business Administration degrees and numerous advanced certificate programs. Iona’s School of Business is accredited by AACSB International, a prestigious recognition awarded to just 5 percent of business schools worldwide. Recent significant College announcements include the appointment of a new dean of the business school, plans for a new, state-of-the-art school of business facility and the establishment of the Hynes Institute for Entrepreneurship & Innovation.
About Iona Athletics
Iona College opened its doors in 1940 with nine Christian Brothers and six lay faculty greeting the first class. The College’s first basketball team was coached by Brother Arthur Loftus who would later become Iona’s second president in 1946. Since the College’s founding, Iona has enjoyed a rich history on the field of play. A high functioning, mid-major program, Iona athletic teams have had impressive accomplishments in recent years:
- Three straight MAAC tournament championships, and competition in the NCAA tournament five out of the past eight years for the men’s basketball team;
- A MAAC championship and an NCAA berth for the women’s basketball team;
- Twenty-seven straight MAAC championships for the men’s Cross Country program - the longest active streak in the NCAA;
- Nine of the last eleven MAAC championships for women’s Cross Country.
- Unprecedented fundraising successes and the highest overall athlete GPA in its history.
Iona currently sponsors 21 Division I Athletics Teams: women’s basketball, men’s basketball, women’s cross country, men’s cross country, women’s indoor track, men’s indoor track, women’s outdoor track, men’s outdoor track, men’s golf, women’s lacrosse, women’s soccer, men’s soccer, softball, baseball, women’s volleyball, women’s rowing, men’s rowing, women’s swimming and diving, men’s swimming and diving, women’s water polo, and men’s water polo.
The Director of Athletics leads and manages the overall administration of the Iona College Division I Athletics Program.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide guidance and leadership to coaches, administrators, staff and student athletes.
- Field well-coached and disciplined teams whose student-athletes conduct themselves in a manner consistent with values and expectations of the College.
- Develop and manage the annual budget for the Athletics Department within established parameters while increasing resources.
- Distribute athletically related financial aid to the largest, most diverse, and most academically and athletically talented group of potential students.
- Ensure compliance with the rules and regulations of NCAA Division I intercollegiate athletics.
- Manage the operations of 21 NCAA Division I programs, over 55 employees, athletic income, and a recreation and intramural program.
- Provide leadership in achieving the goals of Title IX.
- Generate corporate sponsors and negotiate effectively to maximize benefit to the Athletics Department and the College.
- Serve as a member on relevant committees and attend mandatory meetings within the College, MAAC and NCAA communities.
- Act as an official spokesperson for the College and carefully oversee all sports information and public relations contacts.
- Communicate regularly with Iona alumni and friends through various College publications.
- Foster a working and learning environment conducive to such values as trust, teamwork, integrity and commitment consistent with Iona College’s mission.
- Continually strive to upgrade all aspects of the Athletics Department within the existing framework of the College.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as requested by the College President.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum of seven years or more of current management experience in sports administration.
- Demonstrated success in leadership, fund raising, decision-making and employee relations.
- Superior interpersonal abilities and integrity.
- Must be resourceful, well organized and results oriented.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
Iona College invites letters of nomination, applications, or expressions of interest to be submitted to the search firm assisting the College. Confidential review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made. It is preferred, however, that all nominations and applications be submitted prior to April 17, 2018. For additional information please contact:
Daniel Parker, Vice President and Managing Director
Grant Higgison, Associate
Kelty Heilman, Associate
Parker Executive Search
770-804-1996 ext. 121
In a spirit of openness and caring Iona seeks to foster this commitment to diversity by welcoming into our community people of all lifestyles and orientations. The college seeks to promote an open and inclusive environment for those of multiple backgrounds and differences including but not confined to age, lifestyle, national or ethnic origin, race, creed, color, sex, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, affectional preference, gender identity, citizenship status, disability or socio-economic background.