The Hockey East Association has consistently proven its status as a premier NCAA Division I college hockey conference since its inception, and the future is bright as 2019-20 marks the Women’s Association’s 19th season on the ice, while the Men’s Association enters its 36th season.
Comprised of a group of the nation’s premier colleges and universities, the membership of Women’s Hockey East includes Boston College, Boston University, University of Connecticut, College of the Holy Cross, University of Maine, Merrimack College, University of New Hampshire, Northeastern University, Providence College, and the University of Vermont.
The membership of Men’s Hockey East includes Boston College, Boston University, University of Connecticut, University of Maine, University of Massachusetts, University of Massachusetts Lowell, Merrimack College, University of New Hampshire, Northeastern University, Providence College, and the University of Vermont.
Over the first 16 years of play in the Women’s Association, the league has sent 11 teams to the Frozen Four and 24 teams to the NCAA Tournament. The success of the league has also been on full display for USA Hockey, as 8 current or former hockey east student-athletes played key roles in the U.S. Women’s Hockey Team’s gold medal run during the 2018 Winter Olympics. This was just the second Olympic gold medal in women’s hockey for the USA.
The Men’s Association has also produced incredible results on the ice, boasting 115 NCAA Tournament berth teams, more than any other conference since Hockey East's inception, including nine NCAA Champions. More recently, Hockey East led the way at the June 2019 NHL Draft where more of its athletes, current and committed, were chosen than any other collegiate conference.
Hockey East student-athletes also make a positive impact on many community service programs across the region, volunteering with youth hockey associations and community organizations. Six Hockey East student-athletes have received the prestigious Hockey Humanitarian Award, while 10 others have been finalists for the honor. However, it is the quality and depth of talent among its players that most sets Hockey East apart from the rest.
Three Hockey East student-athletes have won the Patty Kazmaier Award, which is presented annually to the top player in women’s college ice hockey, while eleven players from Hockey East have won the Hobey Baker Memorial Award as the top player in men’s college hockey. Dozens of Hockey East student-athletes have been named as finalists for the respective awards, and dozens more have been named as First- or Second-team All-Americans.
Hockey East has proven to be an equally strong presence in the classroom. League athletes continue to demonstrate their commitment to overall excellence, as the Hockey East All-Academic Team honored well over 150 student-athletes for outstanding academic achievement during the 2018-19 academic year.
The Commissioner is the Chief Executive Officer of the Men’s and Women’s Hockey East Associations. The Commissioner will work with the leadership of each member institution to create and implement initiatives and strategies designed to achieve the mission and vision of Hockey East.
- Provide vision, leadership and sound decision-making with regard to all Association matters including fiscal affairs, personnel, strategic planning, marketing, public relations and general operations.
- Maintain and strengthen Hockey East’s position and perception as the top NCAA Division I hockey conference while advocating for the interests of the membership.
- Serve as the primary spokesperson for the Association.
- Negotiate and manage regional and national linear and digital media agreements for regular-season packages as well as conference championship and other special events to boost revenue and exposure.
- Maintain an optimal balance between strategic and tactical responsibilities.
- Responsible for supervision and production of all Hockey East employees.
- Serve as Hockey East’s primary liaison with other ice hockey organizations such as:
- National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA)
- Ice Hockey Commissioners’ Association
- NCAA Ice Hockey Championship Committee
- NCAA Ice Hockey Rules Committee
- American Hockey Coaches Association
- USA Hockey
- Enforce program standards and Association Code of Conduct as articulated in Association by-laws.
- Along with the Coordinator/Supervisor of Officials, provide leadership and direction, consistent with the philosophy of the NCAA Ice Hockey Rules Committee and Hockey East, to the on- and off-ice officials that are retained to work the Association’s hockey games.
- Foster a commitment to diversity and inclusion throughout all levels of the organization.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
- Oversight of the Hockey East post-season championship tournament.
- Maintain a positive working relationship with all segments of the active media.
- Give support to the operating budget by soliciting and securing sponsorships and corporate partnerships.
- Represent the Association in a manner consistent with the educational and competitive goals of the member institutions, Hockey East Association and the NCAA.
- A bachelor’s degree is required; an advanced degree is highly desirable.
- Reputation of being ethical and maintaining integrity.
- Understanding of and ability to communicate the unique qualities of Hockey East.
- Ability to collaborate, market and promote the league to external constituencies.
- Knowledge of and commitment to the rules and bylaws of the NCAA and the Association.
- Knowledgeable and experienced with NCAA structures and committees and able to successfully represent the interest of the Hockey East Association at the national level.
- Ability to successfully operate and market the Hockey East championship weekend and other special events, including the ability to generate an atmosphere/environment appropriate to an event of this magnitude.
- Ability to identify, attract, lead and manage staff to operate the Hockey East office.
- Business-minded approach to managing the league budget. Maximize revenues in regards to Hockey East playoffs, sponsorship, and media opportunities.
- Ability to work with diverse groups of individuals and interest groups.
The Hockey East Association invites letters of nomination, applications, or expressions of interest to be submitted to the search firm assisting the Association. Confidential review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made. For full consideration, application materials should be submitted at Parker Executive Search’s website by January 16, 2020. For additional information please contact:
Daniel Parker, Vice President and Managing Director
Hayden Garrett, Principal
DeLaina Sarden, Research Associate
email@example.com | firstname.lastname@example.org
Parker Executive Search
770-804-1996 ext. 119
The Hockey East Association is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.