The Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech), one of the top universities in the United States and across the globe, invites applications and nominations for the position of Chief Audit Executive. Georgia Tech, in alignment with the University System of Georgia, seeks a dynamic leader capable of partnering with the President and departments across campus to reduce risk and further the mission of Georgia Tech.
Role and Responsibilities
Reporting to the President of Georgia Tech and the Vice Chancellor Internal Audit and Chief Audit Officer at the University System of Georgia, the Chief Audit Executive (CAE) provides leadership and strategic oversight to the Internal Audit Department in its service to the broader Institute. The CAE leads and directs the auditing function performed by the staff auditors through monitoring and assessing compliance with applicable institutional, Board of Regents, state and federal regulations and policies through review of accounting, financial and operating controls within departments, colleges and schools. This position is responsible for leading and managing the internal audit staff, including setting goals for the department and its staff, setting a culture of trust and integrity, and contributing to the continued professional growth of the staff.
This position interacts on a consistent basis with Institute senior executives, administrators, business and academic unit heads, University System of Georgia administrators and audit staff.
The successful candidate will provide institutional leadership that fosters a high standard of financial and operational integrity by staying abreast of changes in federal and state regulations and creating a strong level of trust in the internal auditing department among faculty and staff across the Institute.
Other key responsibilities include:
- Developing and implementing audit plans and procedures for use in conducting operating and financial audits.
- Directing the development of audit schedules and approving audit assignments.
- Ensuring that audits are conducted as scheduled and results are documented and presented consistent with applicable auditing standards and procedures.
- Reviewing audit reports.
- Liaising with State auditors as required.
- Optimizing and structuring the Internal Audit organization and defining the roles of key members.
- Performing other related duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will possess a bachelor’s degree in business, accounting or directly related field from an accredited institution as approved and accepted by Georgia Tech and significant administrative experience of directly related audit and/or university financial experience. A related master’s degree is also preferred for this role. Certification as a Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) or Certified Public Accountant (CPA) is preferred.
Other preferred qualifications include:
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, written communication skills and ability to convey complex information to a variety of audiences;
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships across multiple constituencies and enable partnerships inside and outside of the Institute;
- Diverse set of experiences in financial and operational processes;
- Strong knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and practices, auditing standards and practices, management practices, federal and state laws and guidelines for participating programs, grants and contracts, and general and Institute best practices;
- Ability to analyze problems and develop data-driven, workable solutions and report results to the President, University System of Georgia and Georgia Tech executive management;
- Strong leadership, excellent problem-solving skills and experience working in an environment handling complex financial, operational, and compliance system components;
- Knowledge and skills in the application of business law, negotiations, investigational procedures, executive level of policy development and quality assurance;
- A demonstrated track record of integrity, objectivity, and sound judgement.
Institute and Region
The Georgia Institute of Technology (https://www.gatech.edu/) is a public institution and is classified as a doctoral university: very high research activity. The Institute is a top-ranked public university and one of the leading research universities in the world. Georgia Tech provides a technologically focused education to more than 36,000 undergraduate and graduate students in fields ranging from engineering, computing, and sciences, to business, design, and liberal arts. The institution has six colleges and 28 schools focusing on Business, Computing, Design, Engineering, Liberal Arts, and Sciences.
At its core, Georgia Tech is committed to improving the human condition through advanced science and technology. The Institute is in the business of creating the next — the next idea, the next technology, and the next legion of visionary leaders. Bound together by passion and skill, and spurred by imagination, its faculty, researchers, and students focus on solving the grand challenges of our time.
The Institute’s beautiful 400-acre, tree-lined campus is located in the heart of Atlanta, Georgia (https://www.atlanta.net/). Located in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains and only a few hours from beaches along the Atlantic Ocean, the city has become an economic, social, cultural, and recreational hub. Georgia Tech has played a vital role in the overall growth of Atlanta, and promises to contribute to further growth in the years to come.
Applications and Nominations
The Search Committee invites nominations, applications (a letter of interest, resume/CV, and the names and contact information of five or more references) or expressions of interest to be submitted to the search firm assisting Georgia Tech. Review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. It is preferred, however, that all nominations and applications be submitted to the search firm prior to March 5th, 2020. For additional information, please contact:
Laurie C. Wilder, President
Porsha L. Williams, Vice President
Parker Executive Search
Five Concourse Parkway, Suite 2900
Atlanta, GA 30328
Phone: 770-804-1996 x109 or x122
email@example.com | firstname.lastname@example.org
Georgia Tech is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law. Consistent with its obligations under federal law, each company that is a federal contractor or subcontractor is committed to taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, disabled individuals and veterans.