About Colgate University
Colgate is a highly selective, private liberal arts college with a diverse undergraduate enrollment of approximately 2,900 students located in Hamilton, NY. The university has a strong tradition of excellence in its academic and athletic programs and a sustained commitment to a diverse administration, faculty, staff and students. The Division of Physical Education, Recreation, and Athletics (PERA) supports students' development through a variety of innovative programs while sustaining Colgate's rich, competitive athletic tradition. The goals of the Division's programs are to provide intense competitive challenges for the athletically-motivated student population and promote a commitment to life-long health and well-being; to support social and recreational interactions; and to offer students the opportunity to engage in the community, on local and national level. These goals are achieved through NCAA Division I athletic participation and a wide range of recreational and educational opportunities designed to stimulate self-awareness, dedication, social responsibility and personal growth.
The university is a member of NCAA Division I-FCS and the Patriot League for all sports except for men’s and women’s ice hockey, which belong to ECAC Hockey. Colgate Athletics boasts a tradition of excellence in Division I that inspires its student-athletes to high achievement on and off the playing fields.
Colgate's mission is to provide a demanding, expansive educational experience to a select group of diverse, talented, and intellectually sophisticated students who are capable of challenging themselves, their peers, and their teachers in a setting that brings together living and learning.
The VP and Director of Athletics will provide a clear vision of the role and mission of athletics at a highly selective, residential liberal arts institution, and superior leadership and management that will achieve excellence across the Department’s uniquely varied activities. The VP and Director of Athletics reports directly to the university President and oversees 12 men’s and 13 women’s NCAA Division I varsity sports, as well as club sports, intramural and recreational programs, the outdoor education program, and a physical education program required for all students.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintaining Colgate’s traditional commitments to academic and athletic excellence at the Division I level; furthering an academic and athletic culture that fully supports and serves the student-athlete, including promoting student-athletes’ personal development, high academic achievement, leadership skills, and full participation in all aspects of university life; providing athletic and recreational opportunities to students with varying interests and skills.
- Strengthening all sports to be competitive at the championship level.
- Passionately representing Colgate Athletics and engaging effectively with students, coaches, faculty, administrators, staff, alumni, and parents, the Hamilton community, Patriot League, ECAC Hockey, and NCAA, as well as with the media and the public at large.
- Organizing and managing the department effectively, providing for full compliance with all applicable NCAA, Patriot League, ECAC, and Title IX rules and regulations, developing and managing budgets, and overseeing and improving facilities in a fiscally responsible manner that maximizes impact.
- Leading efforts to achieve the university’s gender equity and diversity goals.
- Developing a long-term strategic plan for the Athletics Department that will include academic and athletic achievement, capital expansion, staffing, facilities, fundraising and community outreach.
- Providing the support, mentoring, and institutional environment that are necessary to attract, develop and retain a team of diverse and successful coaches and staff.
- Appreciating and supporting the unique mix of coaching, teaching and student development responsibilities of the members of the department staff.
- Identifying and cultivating sources of major gifts and sponsorships.
- Developing strong, authentic, long-lasting relationships with Colgate alumni, parents, and friends of the program.
- A demonstrated record of leadership and measurable success in athletic or university administration.
- Proven commitment to the student-athlete experience, student well-being and academic achievement.
- An ability to develop, communicate, and implement a strategic vision for the future of Colgate Athletics.
- Strong ability to communicate across various constituencies at a university; excellent interpersonal skills and high level of emotional intelligence.
- Committed to a division culture that embraces diversity, gender equity, and equal opportunity as a part of a university committed to these ends.
- Demonstrated understanding of fundraising, marketing, branding, and promoting the intercollegiate athletics program within the university and larger community.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred.
Colgate University invites letters of nomination, applications, or expressions of interest to be submitted to the search firm assisting the university. Confidential review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made. For full consideration, application materials should be submitted at Parker Executive Search’s website by March 29th, 2018. For additional information please contact:
Daniel Parker, Vice President and Managing Director
Kelty Heilman, Associate
Grant Higgison, Associate
Parker Executive Search
770-804-1996 ext. 121
It is the policy of Colgate University not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of their race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, marital status, disability, protected Veteran Status, sexual orientation and gender identity, genetic information, victims of domestic violence and stalking, familial status, and all other categories covered by law.