About The Citadel
The Citadel is a landmark in Charleston and South Carolina that is noted for its educational reputation as well as its rich history. Founded in 1842, The Citadel has an undergraduate student body of about 2,300 students who make up the South Carolina Corps of Cadets. Another 1,000 students attend The Citadel Graduate College, a civilian evening and online program that offers graduate and professional degrees as well as undergraduate programs.
The Citadel’s mission is educate and develop principled leaders in all walks of life by instilling the core values of The Citadel in a disciplined and intellectually challenging environment. The Citadel is best known nationally for its Corps of Cadets, which draws students from about 45 states and a dozen countries. The men and women in the Corps live and study under a classical military system that makes leadership and character development an essential part of the educational experience.
The Director of Athletics is responsible for providing leadership and management for the College’s intercollegiate athletics program in a way that promotes The Citadel’s vision and mission. The Director represents the College’s athletic interests in its many relationships with students, staff, faculty, alumni, friends, and athletic organizations, and seeks to win at the most competitive level while maintaining a commitment to educational excellence and integrity.
This person will support the letter and intent of the military mission and regulations of The Citadel, contribute to the campus community in a positive manner, and encourage student-athletes to succeed in balancing the academic, military and athletic aspects of their education. The Director of Athletics is expected to represent the institution and the program in accordance with the institutional core values of Honor, Duty and Respect.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work collaboratively with the College’s advancement personnel to engage in fund-raising activities for the College and its athletics program including the identification and solicitation of individuals, corporations and sponsors for annual giving, endowment, scholarship and major gift support.
- Plan and develop strategies for generating revenues and resources for the College's athletics department while promoting public support for athletes.
- Genuinely embrace the military character of The Citadel and fully support its mission to educate principled leaders.
- Recruit, retain, lead, and inspire high-performing coaches and athletic administrators.
- Ensure compliance with NCAA, Southern Conference, and Title IX rules and regulations.
- Travel frequently to attend meetings, conferences, speaking engagements, and athletic events away from Charleston, as well as evening and weekend activities on campus.
- Promote the athletic programs with a comprehensive marketing and communications strategy designed to enhance awareness of The Citadel’s distinctive values and educational environment.
- Coordinate outreach and recruiting activities for potential cadet athletes.
- Represent The Citadel at numerous meetings held by the NCAA Division I FCS and the Southern Conference.
- Oversee management of clearances for student athletes from the Offices of Admissions, Financial Aid, and the Registrar.
- Plan and execute innovative approaches to generating fan support.
- Leverage The Citadel Alumni national network to find and recruit athlete candidates who want to “take the road less traveled”.
- Ensure that all student-athletes and coaches have a positive experience at The Citadel.
- Recommend and facilitate enhancements to athletic facilities comparable to peer institutions.
- Proven successful track record of resource development and fiscal management
- Demonstrate a clear understanding that The Citadel is a unique educational institution rich in its own ethos and traditions
- Possess strong organizational skills and demonstrated leadership skills, including the ability to manage multiple complex responsibilities
- Demonstrated ability to function effectively within a senior executive team
- Possess a total of 10 years of experience in business management, which may be concurrent with coaching duties
- Must have a minimum of five years of successful athletics administration and/or coaching experience at the college level
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred
The Citadel invites letters of nomination, applications, or expressions of interest to be submitted to the search firm assisting the College. Confidential review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made. For full consideration, application materials should be submitted at Parker Executive Search’s website by July 24th, 2018. For additional information please contact:
Daniel Parker, Vice President and Managing Director
Hayden Garrett, Associate
Parker Executive Search
770-804-1996 ext. 122
The Citadel is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate against any individual, or group of individuals, on the basis of age, color, race, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, pregnancy, national origin, genetic information or veteran’s status in its employment practices.
The Citadel has a culturally diverse faculty and staff committed to working in a multicultural environment. We encourage applications from minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans.